clicking upon just b4 stopping and just after accel'ing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clicking upon just b4 stopping and just after accel'ing

I was doing one of my drives from north jersey to Philly, when I noticed at stop lights, that upon stopping and acceling I would hear clicking. It would happen just b4 I am stopped and just after I hit start acceling.

What I think it could be is :
    Ball joints (if so, wha tis the correct way to diagnosethem)
    control arm bushings
    Springs
    Shocks (to a lesser extent)

Fo rthose of you who went through the same thing, what was your cause?

I did replace inner/outer tie rods
    Bearings (front)
    rotors (front)
    stabilizer links
    Lubed the chasis
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Something rattling around inside the wheel covers (if you have wheel covers)??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

No, i have the spoked aluminum rims with the tiny center cap

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

This is exactly what I'm experiencing as well. When I come to a stop I hear a "click" like something fell forward and rested. Then I leave from the stop I hear it clicking back the other way.

I thought it was my dust cover for the bearings again. (I had the passenger side fall off and rattle around the wheel cover before). It wasn't. Dust cover is still intact. My "click" is coming from the driver's side. I jacked the car up and grabbed the wheel to see if I could hear anything or move it at all. Nope. No sounds.

I've replaced the same as you as well as the ball joints, shocks and springs. Everything is new. I'm really confused as what it could be.

I was thinking maybe it was the brake pads rattling but that can't be because my foot is usually on the brake when it happens.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

So nothing in the center caps or loose clips??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

if the brake caliper bushings are worn or missing, you'll get a click from the caliper hitting the pin as it rocks back and forth. The bushings are on the piston side of the caliper where the pins slide through. They are usually made of plastic or a hard rubber.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I will jack her up tomorrow and look at her. I willlook at the brake callipers bushings, control arm bushings, dust cover cap for the bearings, and see. It's going to suck with it up in the air because the click happens when a load is on it. I WOULD EVEN HEAR IT WHEN I GET IN AND OUT OF THE CAR (not everytime)

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Bounce the car up and down, maybe the shock rubber is missing/worn on the top.
                89 Colony Park
                90 Colony Park
                70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

I had the crappy aluminum covers from the lugnuts fall off and rattle around in the center cap (turbine wheels).

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
                  2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
                  2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

check the jack in the trunk. If the tire is loose, the jack may be sliding a bit. or if the tire iron isn't wedged under the tire good... same thing.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Loose shock mount(s) are another possibility.

Comment

if it does it when you bounce it up and down, it sounds more like shocks than the brake caliper bushings.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

let dorothy out of the trunk

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

HAHAHAAHHA

Well, I had a chance to tpick the front up and look. I used a hammer and hit everythign possible!! Nothign. I would still here it coming from the front driver side. It has to be suspension related. It would even do it when I get in and out of the car.

I know I have to replace the shocks, I will probably go with Monroe, unless anyone else hear had better luck with somethign else.

Another thign I need to do is change the front springs. I believe they are sagging AND I noticed on the bottom of the control arm the spring's paint is coming apart, leading me to believe that is not good!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Mine has new shocks and springs in the front. Looked under my car too. Can't figure out where it's coming from.

What does yours sound like?

Mine sort of sounds like if you had a bolt in a metal coffee can and it slid to one side when stopping and the other when accelerating. Not a loud click but definitely noticeable.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                              X