Ball Joint Shopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ball Joint Shopping

Are Rockauto MEVOTECH ball joints comparable to MOOG? Driveworks (advance auto parts). I never heard of Mevotech, and to a lesser extent...driveworks, are they good???
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Haven't had good experience with Mevotech. I had their pitman arm in my car and within 6 months the ball was coming out of the joint. I had to replace it last month with a Moog one.

I have Moog ball joints in my car. No problems so far. The lowers were very hard to press in though. (They seemed a bit big for the hole). The uppers you have to drill out the rivets and install nuts and bolts. Uppers went in without a problem. There's a bunch of pics of the process on my reader's ride page. (Link in sig)

I don't have any experience with Driveworks.
    Last edited by slack; 06-10-2014, 11:13 AM.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

If the part failing could kill you, do you really want the cheapest one you can find? Just my 2 cents.

I've had McQuay-Norris on my car for a bunch of years now without any complaint. No idea if they are still in business, but I'd buy them again if they are and are still built with the same quality. I've also had good results out of the Duralast from Autozone on other things. I just don't like to buy the economy parts unless its something that really can't go bad or cause any serious problems. Sometimes the economy parts are the same as the premium with a lesser warranty too, so thats worth a gander. Also, the parts stores don't make their own pieces. It comes from some manufacturer. I believe Autozone will tell you who made it, or you can find out. I know I've seen a list up at Scott's AZ with who makes what back at the commercial desk. I recall a lot of Timken, Spicer, and Moog on the list.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

MOOG all the way! Life time warranty and quality parts. I’ve never had a problem with MOOG.

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
        George Burns

Comment

Yes, I have heard many good thigns about MOOG!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Most brands have two lines, junk and good. Good: Moog 'Problem Solvers', Raybestos 'Professional', A/C Delco 'Professional'. Other NOS perhaps.

Pete
            Originally posted by gadget73
            For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
            1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
            1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Didn't know that...

Interesting, and this is true for all parts accross the board?

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post
              Most brands have two lines, junk and good. Good: Moog 'Problem Solvers', Raybestos 'Professional', A/C Delco 'Professional'. Other NOS perhaps.

Pete

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Raybestos parts are the best if you can find them for your ride. Raybestos ball joints tie rod ends etc are made by mcquay norris. Mc Quay Norris also has a heavy duty version of some of thier parts Raybestos dosent handle.

http://www.rokbrothers.com/police_fleets.php -- these guys sell at fleet prices if they stock your parts high end to cheeper stuff.
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Movotech= NO. Also if you can find TRW, ford uses them for OEM parts, I got 2 $50 ball joints for $6 each on close out from TRW. Rockauto is a good place to look.
                  -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

TRW has thm just uppers.....could you mix and match upper and lower ball joint manufacturers

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
                      TRW has thm just uppers.....could you mix and match upper and lower ball joint manufacturers
                      Yeep. I'm a fan of TRW and Moog. I like Moog because they usually have grease zerks. TRW may or may not.
                      Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                      Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                      Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                      Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Could you buy from him even though your not police/fleet??
                        Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                        Raybestos parts are the best if you can find them for your ride. Raybestos ball joints tie rod ends etc are made by mcquay norris. Mc Quay Norris also has a heavy duty version of some of thier parts Raybestos dosent handle.

http://www.rokbrothers.com/police_fleets.php -- these guys sell at fleet prices if they stock your parts high end to cheeper stuff.

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Didn't know that...

Interesting, and this is true for all parts accross the board?
                          Heck if'n I know. The only time I usually buy any other brand is when I find interesting NOS parts on ebay that look good. The 'cheap' line for the three mentioned are Moog 'R Series', Raybestos 'Service Grade', and AC Delco 'Advantage'.

Pete
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                          1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Most definitely. If you'd like me to check my TRW's i can see if they have a grease fitting, pretty sure mine are the uppers too, i ordered them a while ago
                            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Could you buy from him even though your not police/fleet??
                              Purchased my big brake swap parts from them. Loaded cop calipers, slotted rotors, upper lower ball joints, tir rod ends. They even sent me a return label prepaid for cores
                              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
                              X