Car wants to(sometimes dies) when I shift into D or R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car wants to(sometimes dies) when I shift into D or R

Why? It shifts fine and the car starts right up just fine after it stalls out, never had this happen till about a few days ago when I drove it around the block to "stretch its legs" from sitting 2 weeks. as soon as the car is moving it shifts normally and when its idiling its also fine..its only when I go to shift into D or R. shifting back into park or neutral is fine.

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
    1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

check the throttle body for carbon buildup behind the flapper. If it's all black behind that... hose it out with carb/throttle body cleaner according to the directions on the can and nail the holes in the side that you can see as well (should be to the right while staring in the throttle body). That is usually the issue if it's not a dead/disconnected/iffy contact IAC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      check the throttle body for carbon buildup behind the flapper. If it's all black behind that... hose it out with carb/throttle body cleaner according to the directions on the can and nail the holes in the side that you can see as well (should be to the right while staring in the throttle body). That is usually the issue if it's not a dead/disconnected/iffy contact IAC.
      The IAC makes sense because as soon as I hit the gas its fine. my Explorer is like that too, the IACs in those like to stick and cause it to sputter/stall when its cold or wet out

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
      1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

Comment

Throttlebody is clean, Where is the IAC on these? I've never owned a box panther so I don't know a whole lot about where everything is on these cars yet
        Last edited by 89TownCar; 06-17-2014, 03:58 PM.

Comment

IAC is on the back side of the throttle body. It's a tiny metal barrel held in with two nuts and with an electrical connector at the bottom.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
          2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
          2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

hose out the ports from inside the throttle body first. that may be all you need to do. I do this with very short squirts from a carb/throttle body cleaner can with the engine running (since no mass air sensor required to run it)... this way it pulls the cleaner through the ports and cleans the plunger too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
            X