Drivetrain Squeek!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drivetrain Squeek!

The 86 Merc has been squeaking as I drive down the road. I inspected the drive shaft and the U-Joints seem to be fine. Everything is tight except the Tanny Yoke. I could wiggle it up and down but not left to right. It appears the play is on the output shaft of the tranny. I purchased a new seal and bushing. The Haynes offers instructions on how to install the seal but not the bushing.

I do not get any banging into drive or reverse.

Next I inspected the play in the differential. While in neutral I spun the drive shaft. I noted that there was about 1/4" play spinning it from one direction to the other. It would travel 1/8" then hit a bump then travel another 1/8" until spinning the tire. I find this to be acceptable.

The other issue is the Differential Pinion Oil seal is leaking. I busted open the oil filler plug and put in what little gear oil I had. Didn't get to the point of overflowing. It does seem quieter now.

I tend to think that the issue is the differential. The tranny yoke concerns me a little.

I can't thank you enough for your insights.

Current ride: 2004 "The Distant future" Grand Marquis

u joints and hubcaps from my personal experience
    Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

I think I'll put off doing the tyranny seal... At least till last. Considering it's not leaking.

Comment

The output yoke is supposed to move a bit. Drop the driveshaft and run the U joints through their full range of motion. Fair bet you'll find one is not like it should be.

If you want to check out the rear, pull the axles out of it. If there are problems, they'll most probably be at the ends of the axle shafts. Usually if the bearings are bad enough that its making noise though, its probably going to be more of a humming noise than a squeak. Could be something fell apart inside the rear brakes too.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Does your '86 have wheel covers or rims?
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

It has rims.

It could be some of the brazing chipped off in the break drums.

Comment

Working...
            X