Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My brakes don't work as well after the flash flood the other day. Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive REAL slow...be careful!!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Does your e-brake work? That's cable driven and can be used in an emergency if your regular brakes completely die out. I wouldn't drive around using your e-brake though. Just in case you're ever in a situation heading to the shop where you can't stop because the regular brakes bit the dust.

Actually, this is probably bad advice. If you're worried the brakes are that bad you should get the car towed. Not being able to stop your car could potentially be deadly to you or someone else.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

oil on the wheel sounds like leaky caliper. Stop driving until you can get it fixed. Your neighbors and small children in the area will thank you.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If the brakes don't give me any confidence in the parking lot, I won't go anywhere. We'll see what happens I guess.

It's probably not as big of a deal as I think it is.
          89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Shop says there's absolutely nothing wrong with the brakes. They're probably just dirty.

Ugh.
            89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

I remember a shop that said that about my wife's Lincoln. It had No brakes = No brakes. Trust your judgement as you are the one driving it.

Originally posted by ootdega View Post
              Shop says there's absolutely nothing wrong with the brakes. They're probably just dirty.

Ugh.

Comment

mine got so glazed one summer I had to take the pads off and sand them a touch and put them back on. While I was in there, cleaned the rotors too. Stopped better after that.

If there's any kind of oil on the rotors... stopping will be difficult.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

We often will do what we call a 'disc brake service'. Sand the brake rotors and pads (just enough for a rough surface, no real material removal) and new lubricant everywhere that could need it. This solves many issues related to bad pedal feel.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I would try the sanding trick then go to a big open parking lot and try some panic stops, giving yourself lots of room in case it doesn't want to stop quickly. Getting them hot may just burn off any oil that may have gotten on them. Keep a fire extinguisher handy in case they get too hot and any oil catches fire. It's a good idea to keep an extinguisher in the car at all times anyways in case you don't already.

I need to get on that and put extinguishers in my cars.
                    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Any chance of just giving a through spraying with brake cleaner and seeing what the results are??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Figured I'd give an update.

Turns out they were just dirty. After it sat through a couple more rainstorms they're back to normal.
                        89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Working...
                        X