No announcement yet.

Front suspension is DONE!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't sound too bad as long as all is well!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

no it doesn't but im going back to acdelco, maker of the lower control arm/ball joint and going tell them a thing or two!

In addition, these guys better not charge me for another freaking alignment
      "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
      -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

IIRC weren't you missing one of the ball joint nuts? Are you sure the nut you got was right?

Nuts don't just fall off balljoints for no reason. Either it wasn't torqued properly, was the wrong nut, or the balljoint threads/nut threads were defective (which I doubt)
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I made sure it was torqued properly with a wrench, than I installed a cotter pin

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

If the nut wasn't right though, it may not have engaged fully. The cotter pin is only there to keep the nut from rotating. If the nut didn't have full thread engagement, it could have just pulled through and the soft steel of the cotter pin wouldn't have done much to stop it. Something just wasn't right there, whatever it happened to have been.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I find it hard to believe that someone could get to that high a torque (assuming it was torqued properly) while having insufficient thread engagement to such a degree as to allow the ball joint stud to pull through, but I'm no expert.

Did you get the old ball joint back from the shop that fixed it? It's a good practice to always ask for the old parts back.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
              mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Bob!.........Kings County is outer space
                Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                And usually the steering wheel is not straight (even though they just need to use the steering wheel holder that rests on the seat)! Many times I have told the mechanic that and they look at me like I'm from outer space.

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                  Bob!.........Kings County is outer space
                  As Robin Williams used to say, "Nanu, Nanu"!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I fear re-inventing the wheel............back in 2002 I had the Tudor out in Indiana, the Ford dealer did an alignment, that was 20K miles ago, and I have not touched the front end since..........the car does not pull or wandor, the old tires dry rotted off the car, but had fairly even wear across the face, so I leave sleeping dogs lay

Comment

Yea, and he also saw little green men in his room.........
                      Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                      As Robin Williams used to say, "Nanu, Nanu"!

Comment

NO this control arm was ok (well I had the correct nut for this side, (not the passenger side).

It was great, torqued down right and everything. The passenger side didn't have the nut at all. I had to go all over town to find that nut, but ended up getting a raybestos control arm (instead of the ACdelco)

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                        X