No announcement yet.

changing rear axle oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

official service interval that I've read was every 30K (rebuild limited slip at the time if equipped) which happens to be the same interval for trans filter and fluid.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
      I was not aware that the rear end oil had to be changed?
      I have never changed mine and the car has 86K miles, and is dry with no weeping.
      Make sure the cover comes off instead of having someone suction the fluid. That way any metal shavings will be cleaned out before putting new gear oil in. Prepare yourself for some gross smelling stuff. Some people would change axle seals at the same time. I think it is extra work unless they are leaking.

Comment

Gross smell is an understatement. I had to throw out a whole change of clothes as well as my trunk carpet that got that stuff on it. I think it's currently high on my list of worst smelling things ever.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

HAHA, lol. It sure is, I almost had that crap dump on my clothes,

According to John 86vicky, I have an open rear (axle code 5), but I still used 75 W 90 synthetic oil (Mobil), since that was the only thing that was available
          "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
          -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I changed it at 90k or so in my 04. I thought I heard a little noise and figured it was time. The mechanic said there were some shavings, so I figure it was worth it. For what it's worth I can barely hear anything now so it was a win.
            2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
            Past Panthers
            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
            if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

You can tell gear oil is made from dead dinosaurs. I don't think they have quite finished decomposing either.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                You can tell gear oil is made from dead dinosaurs. I don't think they have quite finished decomposing either.
                seriously. stuff is beyond rank.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Stinks up the garage for a few days too if I recall.
                  1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                    official service interval that I've read was every 30K...
                    When I had the diff rebuilt on my 90 Crown Vic a few years ago, the shop told me to drain the fluid every 18,000 miles. Since I put 25K miles on my car every year, that means I change the fluid once a year.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertB View Post
                      When I had the diff rebuilt on my 90 Crown Vic a few years ago, the shop told me to drain the fluid every 18,000 miles. Since I put 25K miles on my car every year, that means I change the fluid once a year.
                      Won't hurt but sounds like overkill unless it is subjected to water infiltration.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

You know my Avanti has 110K on her, only changed one time when I had to put in a new pinion seal in, actually two times the first time the "mechanic" did not put in the seal evenly, the second mechanic was like a watch maker, gently tapping many sides of the seal until installed evenly all around.

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                          Won't hurt but sounds like overkill unless it is subjected to water infiltration.
                          Or some sort of axel/rear end damage.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Just a thought, before removing the cover be sure the fill plug will come out. Once in a while they get seized and you really don't want to find out you can't fill it after its already empty.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That is true!!!!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I filled it up with 2 Quarts of 75 W90. It seems ok, but I would have to curl my pinky to reach the level, I guess I need to top it off with a third quart

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X