No announcement yet.

changing rear axle oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About 2.5 to 2.75 quarts to bring it to the bottom of the fill hole in my experience.
    1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
      I filled it up with 2 Quarts of 75 W90. It seems ok, but I would have to curl my pinky to reach the level, I guess I need to top it off with a third quart
      Yep, another 1/2 to 3/4 qt, tops, should do it nicely!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

In regards to changing the diff fluid often --
        Originally posted by miamibob View Post
        Won't hurt but sounds like overkill unless it is subjected to water infiltration.
        I think the rebuilder wants to make sure that all metal worn off the gears is removed so that it doesn't keep circulating around with the rest of the fluid.

That being said, I keep staring at the aluminum differential covers at http://www.yourcovers.com/diffcover_ford88.php They have the added benefit of a magnetic drain plug to trap those metal particles.

Comment

Those are some funky looking covers!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Working...
          X