poly vs. rubber control arm bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    95-97 brakes are a little bigger, and fit behind a 15" wheel. Thats as good as it gets for braking without a wheel upgrade.
    And those come with (presumably better) cast control arms.

So my parts list for that would be control arms, calipers and pads, spindles, rotors, wheel bearings, and poly bushings?

They wouldn't work with my current spindles, right? I'm sorta trying to avoid swapping that stuff because of all the brake parts being new anyway. It's the bushings and a couple balljoints that are really toast.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
      You might want to give some thought to a bit of a rake. I noticed significant results from having an air dam alone, and then not much, if any, added benefit from a rake (on my 2000 MGM with rear air suspension). But, when I took off the air dam for winter, I didn't lose much of the benefits. The rake alone seems to be almost as beneficial as the air dam alone.
      True enough. I guess I should have said I don't want an obvious/cosmetic rake. I definitely don't want nose-up, iI'm just not out for the streetmachine or snowplow look.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

95-97 stuff would not be able to use the stock spindle, rotor, caliper, or pads. You could keep the stock lower arm, and use the 92-94 upper arm. Its basically the same process as the 98-02 brakes, except you use 95-97 bearing, rotor, caliper, caliper bracket and pads. The spindle assembly is the same 95-2002. The only thing that uses stock brake parts is the stock brakes.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          95-97 stuff would not be able to use the stock spindle, rotor, caliper, or pads. You could keep the stock lower arm, and use the 92-94 upper arm. Its basically the same process as the 98-02 brakes, except you use 95-97 bearing, rotor, caliper, caliper bracket and pads. The spindle assembly is the same 95-2002. The only thing that uses stock brake parts is the stock brakes.
          That's what I'd figured.

Stock arms it is I guess. Part of why I wanted to buy new arms one way or another was then I'd have painted arms and wouldn't have to install the poly bushings and ball joints while the car took up a hoist at work or was otherwise without wheels. All 4 control arms, with burning out the bushings and pressing in ball joints, and shocks sounds like a full day's work even without cleaning the arms up all pretty. Pretty annoying that Rockauto doesn't have uppers for anything pre-95.

Comment

While I'm at it, anyone try these yet?

Comment

never knew those even existed. Expensive buggers though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                That's what I'd figured.

Stock arms it is I guess. Part of why I wanted to buy new arms one way or another was then I'd have painted arms and wouldn't have to install the poly bushings and ball joints while the car took up a hoist at work or was otherwise without wheels. All 4 control arms, with burning out the bushings and pressing in ball joints, and shocks sounds like a full day's work even without cleaning the arms up all pretty. Pretty annoying that Rockauto doesn't have uppers for anything pre-95.
                Yeah it is. I actually ended up doing mine over the course of 4 days or something on the weekends. Reassembling and taking back apart the following week.... I wouldn't recommend doing it that way... wayy too much extra work . If I could have I would have done them all at once but yeah it's a decent amount of labor. The bushings took longer than I expected to burn out. Putting the poly's in took little to no effort though. (I bought extra assembly grease/goop)

Originally posted by sly View Post
                never knew those even existed. Expensive buggers though.
                Me either. Might be interesting!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Wouldnt use the roller brg ones if they could be made to fit. Reason would only use on a track only vehicle. One the street dirt and water might get in the bearings and there junk after that.
                  Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

yeah I don't see that holding up to DD use. Also, the NVH would be fairly horrible. Closest comprimise would probably be Delrin bushings. They are very hard, but have no moving parts so there isn't much for water or dirt to damage.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Fair points, I hadn't considered whether they were sealed.

Comment

There is another thing about poly bushings is they do not provide tortional spring action.
                        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                          There is another thing about poly bushings is they do not provide tortional spring action.
                          Curious what exactly you mean by this. (Honestly not sure).

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

I'm guessing his comment relates to poly bushings not being bonded to the outer shell and inner sleeve the way the rubber ones are.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Yeah, poly bushings don't resist rotation of the joint like rubber bushings that have to twist to allow movement. That's why poly bushings can squeak, they're moving relative to their shells. If a rubber bushing squeeks ssomething is wrong.

Comment

The torsional bit shouldn't be all that significant. it is a factor, sure, but it probably does more to dampen the spring than actually adding any significant spring action of it's own. Likely you can make up for this easy enough with a stiffer set of shocks.

All this is preference. I have a set on my Towncar front and back and have no complaints about it. Scott dislikes them. I have a set on my Mark VII and hate them. At some point, I will pull those arms back off and change the bushings to rubber. I'm just hoping I can get away with just changing the front back to rubber on that and eliminate that whole kidney stress test thing that it seems fond of doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X