MegaMerc destructed rear...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MegaMerc destructed rear...

I think I've located 410s, TracLoc & maincaps....

I know that the maincaps are linebored w/the rear, so I am concerned about utilizing them w/the existing housing.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Possible doner rears?

If I am not mistaken, 95 96 97 GM & MGM will work are there any Lincs that can be picked from?

A buddy suggested a T Bird T Coupe, that just does not seem feasable.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Towncar rears are the same as a Grand Marq or Vic. Anything up to 1997 fits, 92-97 are rear disc. 90+ are all the wider rear. 98+ all mount different, though different flavors of different depending on the year.

dunno about swapping main caps. Something tells me its not a good idea though if they are line bored as a set with the rear. If you blew the main caps, I'd wonder about the rest of that housing in terms of stress on the tapped holes and such. I don't think I'd trust it if it came apart.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think I've talked myself out of the discs, I don' t have the time to deal w/adapting things & what ever else might come up. It would almost force me into the big fronts, I have most of the stuff for that but then I would need new tires for the ugly cop wheels plus whatever other issues that may arise...

This is a 91, does that mean I need a 90/91 rear only? That narrows (no pun) my field of search considerably....

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

if you want the same track width, yes. and IIRC, it's 90.5-91 actually. But anything 79-91 will bolt up no issue as long as it's an 8.8 (apparently some early base models got the 7.5).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It would not force a front disc upgrade. 1992-1994 cars had the same size front brakes with rear disc. The parking brake isn't worth a shit with the discs, and I wouldn't say they actually work better than the 11" drums if the drum stuff is properly adjusted and working but they are easier to service. I just don't like dealing with drum brakes though. If you have 10" rear drums for some reason though, disc all the way.

Even if you get a later rear, its 4 bolts to swap the disc backing plates to the drum plates. Axles have to come out, but thats just a C clip. You will have to run steel lines across a later rear, but you could transplant them if yours are in good shape.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The axles & stuff will have to come out anyway as I will be installing a TracLoc & lower gears.

Comment

If you don't like the ugly cop wheels with your brake swap.
              You can always use 16" HPP's or 17" Fanblades up to 02 on there.

Comment

I just had a '97 GM rear slapped under the '82 Mark VI late last year because it was making noise, spider gears were grinding themselves to death. It came from a 66k low-mile donor and the rear disc brakes were good on it, some new hoses and it mounts right up. Don't have to dick with anything for proportioning valves or master cylinders or anything, everything just works and no rear lockup as long as it's from a non-ABS car.

Mine did come with the meh highway gears and I kept the TracLok unit & 3.73s out of the old rear end to reuse in it later. It's a little wider track and I left the swaybar off it as well because newer Aero ones mount on the frame somehow. And the emergency brake isn't hooked up at all yet, but I won't park it on hills until I get that all sorted. The clutches wear out eventually on all of them, so I just picked the closest cheapest option to keep the car roadworthy.
                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

I'm gonna agree on scrapping the blown up rear. I did on mine, I just didn't trust it. Plus one of the cap bolts was broken flush off on it and I didn't feel like extracting it.

I'd just find a clean 90-97 rear end and start from there. I guess one other benefit of disc is that there the poor mans c-clip eliminator. They'll at least keep the wheel from popping out.
                  2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                  2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

yeah, there is that. I can attest to the fact that it works.

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
                      If you don't like the ugly cop wheels with your brake swap.
                      You can always use 16" HPP's or 17" Fanblades up to 02 on there.
                      The thing is, I already have the cop wheels....

Comment

I took tomorrow off, I'm going to have the yard pull it.

I expect to get a disc setup, so,

I need:

The complete rear (rotor to rotor)

Parking brake cables from the rear to the center of the car,

The parking brake cable turnbuckle or what ever connects the rear cables to the front cable.

Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks Guys

I thought I was going to pull the dead one tomorrow, but it is a little too cold out + they are talking snow.....

Comment

got to connect the hydraulics. Might need sae to metric adapters. Time for new hoses?
                          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                            got to connect the hydraulics. Might need sae to metric adapters. Time for new hoses?
                            Thanks Jay, I 'm focused on what I need to get from the yard, new parts will come next week....

Comment

Hey Jim I used a turnbuckle and some cable clamps from home depot to secure my parking brake cables. Some have said that theirs attached up to the existing cables but not mine.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X