E-brake won't disengage on throttle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-brake won't disengage on throttle.

Yesterday I pressed the E-brake while I was sitting there bored, and it made a very loud squeaking noise all the way through. I pressed the gas and it wouldn't disengage. I had to pull the brake release. I tried it again and it did the same thing. I even put it in gear with the brake on and pressed the gas (which probably wasn't a smart idea) and it still wouldn't release.

The last time I used it a few months ago, it worked. Now it doesn't. No idea why.
    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Do you hear a hissing sound under the dash? The vacuum actuator on the steering column probably went bad. It's a cream colored crescent shaped valve on column down by the pedals. It could also be the vacuum actuator on the parking brake release itself. I believe the valve may still be available .... The actuator, not so much.
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
      Do you hear a hissing sound under the dash? The vacuum actuator on the steering column probably went bad. It's a cream colored crescent shaped valve on column down by the pedals. It could also be the vacuum actuator on the parking brake release itself. I believe the valve may still be available .... The actuator, not so much.
      I'll have to check tomorrow, but I do have a vacuum leak I have yet to resolve. I have no idea where it is and I can't hear it, but I'm getting all of the signs pointing to it. Including this one, apparently.
      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Those things don't like long periods of rest. I learned that the hard way with the '92.
        Last edited by HiFiMerc; 03-07-2015, 09:15 AM.
        1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Working...
        X