Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing the rear shocks on the wagon - question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing the rear shocks on the wagon - question!

OK, gang, it's time to replace the rear shocks on the '86 Country Squire.

How on Earth do I access the rear upper shock mounting bolts???
    1986 Ford Country Squire LX 8-pass wagon 5.0L AOD

Jack up the rear end, support frame so you can lift & lower the rear end as needed. Get a vise grip and clamp it to the shock shaft as close to the underside of the mount as possible (then let it spin around and hit the frame to hold the shock shaft once you get to wrenching) stick your arm & wrench up into the gap between the body and frame and unbolt it.

If you jack up the rear and let the axle droop, and you can see the top of the shock stud through the wheel well housing, you can make yourself a shock wrench. Get a cheap 9/16" gear wrench, cut it in half, piece of pipe for a handle, a method to attach the two (so it can swing) and go at it from the wheel well. You'll still need to put the vise grips on the shaft down below. If you are not keen on that idea, you can spend 80 bucks for a snap-on version.

Alex.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GM_Guy; 05-11-2015, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I've done it by jacking up by the frame to let the rear end droop. I put a 14mm wrench on the top nut and spun the shock to unscrew it. (removing the bottom bolts first of course).

I've also used a drimmel with a cutoff wheel and a flex shaft to cut the damn thing out. That was the easiest when I did it the first time when they were seized.

Pic of the fun in question if anyone hasn't seen it:

Also, if you end up doing the front, the way I did it was put a vice grip on the shock shaft where it will get stuck when spinning the nut. Then use a socket wrench on the top nut and a breaker bar and just snap the top off. Works like a charm.

Link to rear shocks with pics: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post738659
      Link to front shocks with pics: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post720265

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

I think I'll just cut a couple of holes in the floor with a hole saw and get to the nut that way. I'm not a contortionist!
        1986 Ford Country Squire LX 8-pass wagon 5.0L AOD

Comment

oh no... I don't know about that man.

Comment

Well I guess I got spoiled having a California car. The ratcheting box-end wrench really made all the difference. You can see it from the fender but only reach it from underneath, so it's mostly a "by feel" operation. Hose the crap down with PB blaster or Kroil if you can get some.

Comment

I personally wouldn't drill holes.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I got lucky and one shock disconnected itself from the upper mount, I used a ratcheting wrench on the other side with no issue.
                1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

a lot of PB blaster, A LOT!
                  "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                  -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                  -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                  -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

DO NOT DRILL HOLES IN YOUR FLOOR PAN. There is no need, it is accessable from underneath. May not have as much room as you want, but there is room.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                    X