Does this setup have the TV bushing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this setup have the TV bushing?

Alright guys I got to looking at my 86 GM and was wondering if this setup had the tb bushing. The inner rod is tight with no slack. The middle one can wiggle around a bit but is in no danger of falling off (It is perm fixed to the throttle body it looks like) and the outer one is tight as well. Which one goes to which? Do I need to go get a TB bushing right now? My Ford dealership has one in atm.

I believe I have read somewhere that '86 has a different setup for the TV cable/rod, compared to '87-'91, and didn't use that same bushing but I don't know for sure.

In this picture the two ends that are connected together are the throttle (further from the viewer) and cruise (closer to the viewer). The throttle cable end is connected to a ball stud on the TB arm. If you pry it down it will disconnect from the TB arm, but like you noticed it usually is pretty secure.

On 87-91 the TV cable would be further back in this view, behind the throttle and cruise cables. On the TB arm ('87-'91) you have the ball stud on the end where the throttle cable connects, and on the other end of the TB arm is the hole where the TV bushing goes. To see if you do have that bushing, like 87-'91, rotate that nearest end (with the ball stud and throttle cable end) of the throttle arm toward the firewall. The other end of the arm (unless '86 is one-sided) will rotate toward the front of the car allowing you to view the TV cable bushing.
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 10-17-2015, 05:15 PM.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

So i misread what you typed because im a dolt.

Here is the picture of the TV cable. It seems like the top is hardmounted to the TB

Last edited by killgore; 10-17-2015, 05:19 PM.

Comment

You're looking at the throttle and cruise control cables. The TV cable is on the inside, closer to the engine. 1986 doesn't use the stupid bushing, but have a gander at it just to see if anything looks funny about it.

They all had ball studs for the throttle side. Why they didn't just do that for the TV cable I have no idea. The trucks got the same sort of setup the 86 had. Why that wasn't just used across the platform, again, NFC.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's the throttle cable, or does '86 also have a ball stud for the TV cable?
          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Edited the message, I went stupid out of nowhere when reading that. Guess was doing too much at one time

Comment

Originally posted by killgore View Post
              So i misread what you typed because im a dolt.

Here is the picture of the TV cable. It seems like the top is hardmounted to the TB

Ok, now I see the difference. I knew I had read it was different in '86 but I've never seen one.
              Here is a pic of '87-'91 that I was attempting to explain:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=23753&filename=tv_grommet_before.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1278335
              The bushing is green in this pic for some reason.
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Alright it is noted that I am good and not in need of a tv bushing. Cool!

No longer super worried. Granted I guess I will have one whenever I get around to the performance parts, but I will at least know it has a brass bushing

Comment

If you ever need to remove that, the plastic bit slides straight forward. Don't pry it down or you're going to break the cable. I think I got the last NOS one years ago when I broke mine by prying down on it.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X