What's with these flexplates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's with these flexplates?

I've been looking at all the OEM Ford AOD flexplates, and a lot of them have different numbers of oblong holes cut into them. Some of them are solid, others have anywhere from two to eight holes in them. This even seems to vary within the same year and model. Anyone know why?

Here's what I'm talking about:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	nknjki.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	1303320Click image for larger version

Name:	edrewf3ew.jpg
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1303321Click image for larger version

Name:	u5jnmki.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1303322Click image for larger version

Name:	bhyuj.jpg
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1303323Click image for larger version

Name:	njknjki.jpg
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1303324Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1303325
    Last edited by ootdega; 03-10-2016, 10:30 PM.
    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

supplier changes and balancing efforts if I had to guess. If you notice, the welding marks are opposite the large cutout. The second one is flipped the other way and you can see the weight attached at that point.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Interesting... I wonder if that would have a long-term effect when used on a different 302.
      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

as long as they are the proper imbalance weight, it should be fine. They didn't dynamically balance the engine as a complete assembly. Race motors might, but not mass produced factory stuff.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
        X