replace rear bearings and seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passing the Torch
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 07-09-2016, 06:42 PM.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yeah it seems it's just the differential he replaced, along with the right rear axle (likely cause the factory one was worn out). Shame it's again that side that took a damage, this time from the impact with the curb. I'd say pull the damaged axle shaft out and count the splines on the end that goes into the differential, then we'll know for a fact what you're working with, and whether you need to rip into your 3L55 axle for spares or not.

Also, for the record, if that K-code spare you got has anything over 100k on it, its own right rear axle shaft may be showing wear already. So you may have a spare that actually needs work too, and you won't know that till you open it. But again, open just the wagon axle for the time being, see where you stand there.
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Yes generally the left axles have less wear on them.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

the bent axle is a 28 spline. I have the axle from the 90 CV and they both measure the same taking in consideration the bent portion.

Not to leave well enough alone, are there companies that can straighten the bent axle and would it still be strong?

Thank you all again for the advice.
          Last edited by stinkydogfilms; 07-09-2016, 08:48 PM.
          90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
          90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
          91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
          70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

Send it to China so it can be made into a coat hanger and buy a new axle. Those are case hardened and if you bend it, its not likely to do the axle any favors by trying to straighten it.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes use the driver-side shaft out of that spare K-code axle you got into the housing that's already in the wagon. Install a new bearing and seal just to be on the safe side.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

I'm not having any luck.
                Anyone have an idea where I can get an axle for a 90 Colony park ?
                It's the passenger right rear
                90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
                90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
                91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
                70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

It looks like I have to have an axle made by Moser.
                  Does 31 1/4 " on the shaft length sound right?
                  This is from the tip of the axle to the outer flange. 1 3/4 inch diameter of the shaft where the bearing sits.

Comment

What happened to the axles in the spare rear? They changed length in 90 iirc.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I have 4 axles in my stash of parts. I marked them 90-91. If someone can confirm they are the same from a wagon to a sedan, Mark is welcome to one of them. WagonMan
                      89 Colony Park
                      90 Colony Park
                      70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

The spare came up a 1/2" short. But a junkyard via a Hollander says a Town Car, Grand Marquis and Crown Vic from 1990 all fit.

Comment

That's true, they're all the same as long as they're the wider housing. Unless the donor car is a limo Town Car, those axles are 31-spline and also larger diameter IIRC, so no-go for your needs. Regular Town Car is a match tho.

Comment

Major bummer that the '90 spare housing was the narrow older type while the one under the '90 wagon is the newer wider type. Mid-yeah change probably, typical Ford asshatery. Grab a '91-up axle shaft just to be on the safe side, that ought to always be the longer one. I know a '96 shaft fits a '91 housing like it's meant to be.

Comment

Okay,
                              Alright, alright, alright.
                              I found the axle.
                              90-97 ford part number
                              F0AZ 4234-A
                              Same for left or right side.
                              I do thank you ALL.
                              Mike

Comment

So you got one - used but in good shape, or NOS from some old dealership overstock?

Comment

Working...
                                X