1991 tranny question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 tranny question

My AOD is slipping while going into 3rd and also OD. The shop has adjusted the TV cable to no avail. We flushed and changed the transmission fluid. That worked for about a week.
    They are stumped and so am I. The car has 76000 miles on it and the transmission was rebuilt at 60,000 miles. Or so. I don't have the paperwork in front of me. Seems odd that the trans would be needing a rebuild with so few miles on it but I wasn't driving it then so who knows.
    This car is almost my daily driver but this trans thing is trying my patience. I'm thinking about buying a rebuild or a new one with a warranty.
    Any thoughts on this? Favorite rebuild company? Favorite new transmission people?
    I live in Seattle if that makes a difference. I don't want to rebuild this one if it is a POS that is going to fail again.
    Thanks for the future replies.

If the TV pressure wasn't adjusted after the rebuild, I could see it being smoked with such few miles on it.
    1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Was the cable out of adjustment? That could cause it as HiFi said.

Not a trans expert here, but may be looking at a screwed direct clutch and/or OD band. No reason you can't rebuild it again just be sure whoever does it is knowledgeable. I would ask around locally for recommended rebuilders. A lot of them do a 3-year 36k warranty. I am going to buy a kit and try to do my myself next time. Not out of much and a great learning experience.

There are also junkyard options. I got one with 26K on it by luck for $55 on half price day. There was another one with rebuild paperwork in the glovebox that had 20k on the rebuild. Check the TV bush in and fluid if it had any.

88grandmarq does them but he's in GA I think.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I looked at a pretty clean '91 after my car got wrecked. The transmission was supposedly "new", but I drove it down the block and around the corner and realized it wouldn't downshift. A cursory inspection found the TV bushing gone and the cable lying under it. I refused to buy the car at any price because the "new" transmission was worth nothing to me. A rebuild with an improper TV adjustment or none/bad bushing, whatever is as good as shit really.

Talk to mustang guys in the area that may have had an AOD built and find out what trans shop they use. Get yours rebuilt. A good trans shop will have you come back in a month or so and ask how it drives, check it over, etc. My brother had the 4r100 done in his truck and they gave him a 3yr/36k mile warranty even though he's got a shitload of mods done. I plan to have them build my AOD once I get the 347 done and in.

Comment

Just because its rebuilt doesn't mean it was done right. I've driven more than one "fresh" AOD car that shifted completely horrible. The AOD seems very hit and miss with rebuilds. People that know them can make one work very well, people that don't know them assemble a trans that becomes a DOA in short order.

The valve body in the AOD is one complicated mess. Any leakage from poor sealing, or any dirt in it can make it go really stupid. It'll act dumb if the valve body wasn't installed exactly so, or torqued in the proper sequence to the proper value. Over-torquing the trans filter can possibly even make it go stupid. Leakage in either of the two gaskets for the valve body can also cause trouble. There is a seperator plate to trans gasket, and a valve body to seperator plate gasket.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So I got the car back from the mechanic and was told to drive it and replace tranny when I wanted. I drove it around 30 miles yesterday and found out a couple things. If I drive the car with a light foot on the throttle, it will slip going into 3rd. With a heavier foot it won't slip. Once it does start slipping, a goosing of the throttle stops it. It slips way more often if going up a hill also. OD is completely shot now. I used to be able to get it in OD but now going from 3rd to 4th, it slips and never catches.
            My mechanic says I can order any trans I want and have it delivered to his shop and he will install it for around $600. Not sure if that is a good price for an install or not. They come highly recommended and are known for their honesty. So far I have been completely happy with them.
            What to do, what to do...

Comment

sounds about right for an R&I of a transmission. The cost of a good rebuilt trans will probably be about the same unless you find a used good one.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Last trans job I had done was $1300, rebuild and install. That was a Chevy trans tho. The AOD I got a screaming deal on, so we won't talk about that. Protip: if you pay the dude in cash on Christmas eve and tip with a bottle of vodka, the second vehicle gets a special repair rate
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the replies!
                  I found a rebuilt AOD on craigslist. It is from a wrecked 1991 TC. 10K on the tranny since the rebuild. $400. No proof of rebuild though.
                  I am thinking about Monster Transmission.

Pricey but probably done right and has warranty.
                  So either $2000 for the Monster with install or $1000 and take my chances with craigslist...

Comment

pretty much.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

See if there are any Mustang guys in your area. Find out who the 3 dudes who still have one with an AOD used for a rebuild.

Comment

I wouldn't buy anything "rebuilt" from craplist unless I planned to take it somewhere myself. If you can't test run it before your purchase, consider it junk. I'm lazy, so there's no way I'd take the time of dropping my dead trans out only to put a half dead trans back in there. Too much butt-hurt for me there.

Too bad you're not in southeast Michigan. I'd recommend Accurate Transmissions out of Belleville. Ashley had her AOD rebuilt some two years and 20k miles ago. Still going strong and shifts great, you'd never know it was rebuilt. Cost her around $1,150.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                        X