Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of tires are you using on your car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the Spring, I'm going with nice, lightweight 17" or 18" wheel for the street. I got to do research and make sure a drag radial is available in it's size. No more 70-80's era, 15" wheels and tires on my big car.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
    5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

245/45/17 Goodyear Eagle's. Factory mustang tires. They do pretty well, but even with the stock motor I could spin 'em a bit from a stop. They were impressive on the autocross track also. Suprised me quite a bit. I'll probably be going with some super sticky near r-compound tire once the winter is over. Falken Azenis or Kuhmo MX's, V700's or something. I am very impressed with the Falken Azenis I am running on the protege5. They did incredible in the dry and had no issues in the wet.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

:3gears: I have 4 P225-70R15 Hankook radials.

ATT.SNIPER 308. :nightrid:
        MERC75-INTERCEPTOR, BORN IN 2003,DIED IN SEP/21/2010 AT 9:55AM AT THE SORT AHE OF 8 YEARS PROTECTING HIS OWNER TO DIE

Comment

There will always be drag radials avaliable in 17's+ just from the cobras and such. The only downside is that they're shorter than our stock tires so the wheelwell gap will look a bit much.

Kumho Supra 712's 255/45 front and 275/40 mounted on 17x8 '99 Cobra wheels

These tires are a royal b*tch to spin both with their grip and all 4 brakes active. It took me a few tries but I finally got it right

Burnout video! (~8mb)

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
          '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
          '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

your video link is just a bigger pic of the tire
            Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Sheesh...get the link right..

So, how do the tires fit, I'm looking at 255/45's as repalcements, but it looks like the 275's fit OK on an 8" rim. Do the 275's fit on the front by any chance?

Comment

duurrrr :drug: I r teh winnAr...Linky's fixed.

Theres no problems with the 255's in front, and they'll fill the wheelwell out a bit more than stock stang tires will. My friend that mounted the tires said it took two of his guys to get that 275 on the 8" rim, as it's designed for a 9.5" wide wheel. It wraps the tread around a bit, and isnt the best for handling, but if you air them down at the track they'll do great for the drags. I never tried putting the 275's on front. The grooves also give phenomenal wet performance. I could tear through the standing water in the ruts of the highway and have no problems with hydroplaning.

'80 Town Coupé

Comment

OK, guess I'll just get the 255's all the way around. They are much cheaper anyway. I had the 712's on my mustang. They were incredible tires.

Comment

yeah, the 712's are good tires.

I run Kumho 716's on my GM 235/60/16 on HPP rims. on my 3rd set of tires.
                    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

The Kumho 711s are good tires, too...
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

711's are garbage compared to the 712's, SPT's, and MX's. I'm running MX's or SPT's on the wagon this spring. Probably the MX's since I will be autocrossing a bit. They are all priced really well for what they are though. I really wish Falken made the Azenis in more sizes. Those tires are friggin incredible.

Comment

the 712's are 150+ each locally, but can be had for 125 or so shipped from tire rack. Great grip

'80 Town Coupé

Comment

I agree on the falkens, mike...

I install a lot of them on people's cars..
                            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                            X