2015 Mustang IRS feasibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
    If The gas tank did not have to take up interior room it would be worth it.
    You have a station wagon, with the jump seats folded in most of the time. Take jump seats out, drop the fuel tank in their place, build a solid floor above the works. You're back to having a flat floor, you're just lacking some seats that were of no use to you anyways.

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
    Yeah and the bummer is that changing it to something else would really screw up the trunk these cars are famous for. Quite a conundrum.
    He's got a wagin, those are much better suited for the tank relocation than a sedan is.

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
    Guys that do Panther frame swaps to Ford trucks like to use Explorer IRS.
    Got a link to any such build? I''m sure I can find one if I look, but if you already got something handy that will save some time I'll appreciate it. By the way Explorers have these stupid lower balljoint/bushing things, it's basically a spherical joint with high-misalignment cone spacers built into it - the body presses into the lower control arm, the knuckle goes around the whole thing like a fork, bolt goes thru knuckle and balljoint/bushing. Fairly easy to service setup, but it does seem a bit undersized for the weight of the vehicle, larger ball would have been nicer. The rest of the stuff is pretty solid tho, I know an Explo that's nearing 200k on factory upper balls and TREs, only the lower balls were replaced once, still rock solid everywhere else, and the roads it travels on are anything but nice and smooth.

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
    Creamys tank is in the trunk
    did you use a fuel cell?

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
    I wonder if the explorer diffs have different mounting points.
    I'm suspecting that yes, they are different, way different probably since one vehicle has a solid frame and the other does not.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Yes Creamy uses a fuel cell. Kinda remember the lower control arms on the exploders interfered with forward and took up some rearward space. Its not whatI would realy call a true independent system either
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

And if you want serious beef in an IRS... you could always use the expedition 9.75 IRS instead of the 8.8 explorer IRS.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
          Its not whatI would realy call a true independent system either
          idk about that, they got a lower arm and an upper arm and a strut on each side, and nothing connects one side to the other (other than the swaybar of course) - seems pretty damn independent to me. Heck even toe is adjustable on them things, if one felt so inclined.

Sly's suggestion on the Expedition IRS, that's halfon truck territory, and I mean new halftons which are essentially equal to older 3/4-tons. Should be pretty hard to damage one of them things.
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Part of what the issue with the exploder IRS might be the height and the forward facing mounting intruding into the rear seat area as well as the fuel tank area. I also looked into the Tbird IRS but didnt want to deal with different bolt pattern. Wasnt interested in new wheels got to much invested in current ones

Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
            X