Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would 3.73:1 be too much gear for an HO-swapped panther?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yOU can figure RPM and speed based on gears and tire dia

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/index.html#jcalc look at bottom right

Many trany sites have info to figure driven gear tooth counts
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

ran 4.10's w/ lsd on my 90mgm (had alum. shaft), p-heads, HO cam, HO upper, systemax1 lower. got 18-20mpg on the highway doing 70+. Boumann shift kit too. car ran like an ape, sounded mean with dumped 2.5" dronemasters.

Comment

Difference between a 3.73 and a 3.55 on the highway is not significant. Assuming stock size 215/70-R15 tires and AOD, you're talking 2376 rpm vs 2497 at 80 mph. 121 rpm is fuck-all and the difference reduces as you slow down.

Don't go buying a 3.55 set if you have a perfectly good 3.73 set.
        Last edited by gadget73; 12-13-2017, 11:38 PM.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Difference between a 3.73 and a 3.55 on the highway is not significant. Assuming stock size 215/70-R15 tires and AOD, you're talking 2376 rpm vs 2497 at 80 mph. 121 rpm is fuck-all and the difference reduces as you slow down.

So if I have 2.73's and want better acceleration, would you recommend the 3.73's? I know that is a bit of a broad question, but I am mainly concerned about the rear end at the moment.

Comment

With an HO? 3.55 or 3.73 would be a big improvement over the stock gearing. The HO cam makes lousy torque under ~2500 rpm and with a 2.73 that takes forever to get to. Acceleration with an HO and stock gears is going to be considerably worse than the lopo because of that.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

^^^ This! Basically if you don't drive like most of the rest of the state population and keep it under 80mph you'll be alright. Also 2500 RPMs ain't nothing for an HO engine, so don't worry about it, just get some quieter mufflers if it starts to bother you. If you're not in a hurry do your Mustang gear swap and then move its gears into the GMQ, no money out and you know for a fact the gears are good.

Originally posted by SirFoxx View Post
              So if I have 2.73's and want better acceleration, would you recommend the 3.73's? I know that is a bit of a broad question, but I am mainly concerned about the rear end at the moment.
              Anything will give you better acceleration there, lol. The 3.73s is IMHO more of a busy traffic type of gearset cause it's very easy on accel and decel but can hurt you a bit on long high-speed interstate trips, but if that's what you can get the best deal on go for it. The 3.55s you mentioned earlier would be the other set that's good for off the line and really all-around performance.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                ^^^ This! Basically if you don't drive like most of the rest of the state population and keep it under 80mph you'll be alright. Also 2500 RPMs ain't nothing for an HO engine, so don't worry about it, just get some quieter mufflers if it starts to bother you. If you're not in a hurry do your Mustang gear swap and then move its gears into the GMQ, no money out and you know for a fact the gears are good.
                That makes sense. The Mustang swap is likely to have to wait until early-spring. This winter will be spent collecting parts for a big brake and an HO or GT40 engine swap.

Thank for y'all's input. I'm looking forward to having some more get up and go with the Mercury.
                —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

i can run at 100 mph all day long if i want to.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

My 93 DID run for about 3 hours at near 100 (following a Charger) down to Houston on Christmas last year. No issues. 3.55 gears. PI swap. But I also have an F150 dual core rad and trans cooler in that one.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Sly, apples to oranges friend, 100mph sustained is no big deal for a mod motor, not so much for a 302W. Scott wins the coolness award there
                      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

A 302 in good shape will stand it a whole lot better than a slapped out one will. A typical lopo in a box is probably not going to survive a few hours at that rpm and still have any oil in the pan, assuming it doesn't just overheat horribly before it gets that far along.

Comment

With an HO? 3.55 or 3.73 would be a big improvement over the stock gearing. The HO cam makes lousy torque under ~2500 rpm and with a 2.73 that takes forever to get to. Acceleration with an HO and stock gears is going to be considerably worse than the lopo because of that.
                          I can say first hand that this is the exact problem I have right now lol. It cant even spin one tire on loose material. Probably going to pick up a set of 3.73's from ebay. A seller supposedly has a ring and pinion for $50 with ~$14 shipping.

Comment

That sounds about right for used Ford 8.8 gears, they're all over the place by ways of Ranger trucks so they're not worth a whole lot - good for you when you need them

Comment

Hell in southern california if you're on the freeway going 75 they try to run you off the road for going too slow. With the stock cluster i was out of speedo most of my road trip last weekend. With 3.55s and a pretty-stock lopo i averaged 21mpg mixed. Can't wait to have 347 power though. Mileage may suffer but the fun factor will make it worthwhile.

My wrecked '90 had 3.08s and i was going to trade my brother for the 3.73s in his mustang since he was going turbo and wanted the longer gears to load and spool the turbo. Never worked out because his project stalled and my car got fucked. I scarcely drive the car so freeway economy isn't a huge deal but i like to stay reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                                Hell in southern california if you're on the freeway going 75 they try to run you off the road for going too slow.
                                Tends to be the case in TX as well. The solution we have found works best is simply growing up, in vehicle size that is. Few people are stupid enough to fuck with a 4-door longbed truck built on a medium-duty chassis and rolling on 10-lug dump truck (literally!) wheels with axles to match. When your fuel tanks alone are larger in diameter than some people's tires and longer than other people's truck beds, both groups generally tend to leave you to your own devices if you're going close to the speed limit and instead simply wait more or less patiently for an opportunity to pass you. In other words fuck the right of way, right of weight tends to be what most iphone-totting fuckheads out there seem to respect more So just make sure you got more weight than them, simple enough.

Comment

Working...
                                X