No announcement yet.

Cargo Coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh .. front? Stock? Cut a half-coil? Think they're currently around 440 lb/in (or was it closer to 500?) based on a loose extrapolation from the rate list in Mike's suspension stickies ... at any rate, they provided (in my opinion) a pretty nice ride/handling balance in my wagon with the 302 motor in the nose.

Personally, I think the 700 lb/in P72 coils are a bit stiff for DD street use, and my wagon isn't being driven right now, so why not try something I already have?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

when getting rear waggin' springs for 2 door or regular sedan... plan on getting F-150 shocks... there is a thread all about it... if shocks are good, just get a set of bolts as precautionary measure since the bolts snap sometimes when trying to break them loose...
      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

what do you lot think about rear wagon shocks vs lincoln air shocks?
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

...with wagon springs, that is
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

merc91, can you take a measurement from the ground to the bottom of the rocker panel?

I now have the cop springs on the car (1998 cop/taxi, moog 80090, 710in/lb). Rides great, and it is in no way too harsh. Still a very smooth ride, I could stand things a bit firmer yet before it would get close to pickup truck levels.
            Raised the front of the car 3" (measured to the top of the wheel arch) over the saggy 8652's.
            Car has a slight front high stance (1/4" higher as measured at the rocker panel) with the old rear springs (cc817).

[attached pic is merc91's car showing where I'd like a measurement taken]

Alex.
            Attached Files

Comment

Wagon coils in the back now. Leveled the car out with the cop front springs. I gained 2" in the rear (measured across the axle centerline to the bottom of the rear fender arch). Rides reallllll nice now. Still not harsh by any stretch of the imagination. Like in the last post, the springs could stand to be a lot firmer yet. I think I will go so far as to say, they are still softer than what I am accustomed to in my General products.

Longer shocks I do not think are necessary. Yet (gotta cover my butt) =-) I've got to find my paper where I scribbled my numbers down on, but theres still plenty of room for downward axle movement before hitting the stops. I'm using Ford HD shocks front and rear (aka cop shocks, aka towing package shocks). Where the folks who had to go to f150 shocks using ford shocks or an aftermarket shock?

So, two thumbs up for cop springs and wagon cargo coils on a sedan.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                So, two thumbs up for cop springs and wagon cargo coils on a sedan.
                Interesting that you also found this to be a balanced combination. I tossed the rear springs from my wagon onto my P72 (700 lb/in front coils) in anticipation of some towing, and found that it did seem to balance the handling out by eliminating some of the extra tail wallow over uneven surfaces. I do personally find the overall ride a bit harsh, even with my 75-series winter tires installed (summers are 235/60/16), but it does seem to be a reasonably-handling combination that lets the car sit pretty level, at least with a 302 swapped into the nose.

One of these days I will have to take measurements of these particular wagon springs so I can get an idea of their actual spring rate, rather than relying on reference charts that would have let me to believe the wagon's front springs were originally 440 lb/in and not the 390 I determined them to have been after measuring.

Comment

Everything else I have is leaf sprung, harshness is relative. My truck has 1550lb/in springs in it (the heaviest duty Moogs available) and the 7 leaf spring pack... so 440lb/in is still soft by comparison for two vehicles that are very close in weight. =-)

Alex.

Comment

440? When you said cop springs, I assumed you meant 700 lb/in like I have.

Comment

Typo on my part. Moog #80090 fronts.

Alex.

Comment

Ah, so you did actually mean 700 lb/in front coils.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...283_0253301811

Always good to clarify!

EDIT: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showpost...6&postcount=65

Comment

should be me. Since I brain farted a couple messages back and twisted up everybodys line of thought.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                          X