Blew out my shock mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73
    Yes, thats exactly what he means. Couldn't think of the proper name for it.

Damn, that would be [b]perfect[b]. Where do you get such a thing?

Comment

Originally posted by svt87
      Damn, that would be [b]perfect[b]. Where do you get such a thing?
      Advance sells them in the HELP! aisle...
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

You might pull a few out of your fender mounting bolts as well as a few other places on your car
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

so, whats the status on this Matt?

you fix it yet?
          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq
            so, whats the status on this Matt?

you fix it yet?
            I kept putting it off because I really don't have the time right now. Then yesterday I hit a big bump and one of the mounts fully broke loose, shooting the lower part of the shock tube down into the bump and bending the whole tube. I went and bought those clip nut things but they won't fit because the 'u' portion sticks into the hole that the shock goes through, and as a result there's no room for the shock tube. Time for another idea, or maybe smaller clips I guess
            Last edited by svt87; 06-27-2006, 12:24 PM.

Comment

weld the fuckers on, i got sick of replacing mine every 2 weeks(guess i engage in too much "sprited driving" heh heh) so i had em welded on when i did the exhaust, theyre brand new, and the odds of havin to replace the shocks before the car dies are very slim
              jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

Originally posted by 83tc
                weld the fuckers on, i got sick of replacing mine every 2 weeks(guess i engage in too much "sprited driving" heh heh) so i had em welded on when i did the exhaust, theyre brand new, and the odds of havin to replace the shocks before the car dies are very slim
                Stay away from my car.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
                  Stay away from my car.
                  x1,000,000,000,000,000
                  Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Okay, I figured out what to do. Basically while the shock is out I'll drop a bolt through each hole from the top, and with a washer on either side of the control arm surface I'll fasten a nut on each bolt from below. Voila! Mounting studs! Then I just sandwich the metal blade on the shock with washers and fasten another nut in place and I'll be all set. Yes I'll techincally be extending the length of the shock tube by like 1/4" but I don't think that will matter.

Comment

I don't think it will make a noticeable diffrence, when I have my front wheels up in the air (so suspension is maxed out) if I disconnect the shocks from the control arms the shocks extend at least an inch more. This was true for the stock shocks, and also for the new Monroes I have there now, so I think you'll be safe, but then again I don't know if the cast upper control arms allow for some more down movement than the stamped ones - just check for that before you do it. Aaand you really need to get that ass off the ground, looks like you have three dead hookers in the trunk now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan D
                        I don't think it will make a noticeable diffrence, when I have my front wheels up in the air (so suspension is maxed out) if I disconnect the shocks from the control arms the shocks extend at least an inch more. This was true for the stock shocks, and also for the new Monroes I have there now, so I think you'll be safe, but then again I don't know if the cast upper control arms allow for some more down movement than the stamped ones - just check for that before you do it. Aaand you really need to get that ass off the ground, looks like you have three dead hookers in the trunk now.
                        Oh I'm not worried about travel on the shock. Bear in mind that when the lower mount disconnected the shock shot down far enough to nail whatever bump in the road I hit.

Yeah, the car really needs a whole new rear end in terms of suspension and differential. Putting more money into it is not a priority right now though. I already have my deposit down on a new daily driver that will be much more fuel efficient and reliable. Don't worry though, I'm keeping the Crown Vic. It's just not going to get the budget and miles that it used to.

Comment

Yeah I think your interior and rear end are all you need to build, right?

Everything else is done?

Comment

I still don't understand that....all that other work and an open diff...
                            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Here are the next scheduled upgrades:

-Rear axle rebuild (replace seals and bearings), preferably a 31-spline setup if I can get the parts and build it.

-Rear differential replacement (3.73 gears, some sort of locking device)

-New rear springs, shocks, bushings

-Rear swaybar

-Larger gas tank, high performance fuel pump

-AFR165 heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake manifold, 70mm TB, 80mm MAF, 24# injectors, new lifters, dyno tune

-Rear disc brakes, possibly ABS

Comment

Originally posted by svt87
                                Okay, I figured out what to do. Basically while the shock is out I'll drop a bolt through each hole from the top, and with a washer on either side of the control arm surface I'll fasten a nut on each bolt from below. Voila! Mounting studs! Then I just sandwich the metal blade on the shock with washers and fasten another nut in place and I'll be all set. Yes I'll techincally be extending the length of the shock tube by like 1/4" but I don't think that will matter.
                                Congrats on getting it all worked out

THe Service Manual actually says if you strip the threads, to just use some appropriately sized bolts with nylon lock nuts, so it is a fairly common occurance.

IMO I would use a grade 8 bolt.

The slightly extended shock length is liekly jsut a moot point, I highly doubt any difference in shock operation will occur.

-derek
                                Last edited by drock96marquis; 07-05-2006, 01:32 PM.
                                -My Homepage, Panther info & FAQs-
                                My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis LSE -
                                Modifications
                                Click My Merc for more Pics!

Comment

Working...
                                X