Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frankenstein T-5 Waggin' Chronicle (vast doesnt do it)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know the specs off hand, but the Mustang cam is significantly more aggressive and with our cars, the Explorer cam makes so much less torque it's embarassing.

At least, that's what I was told by the guys who know.
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Better to stay within the computer specs anyways, right? What are you runnin', D9S?
      Project \"Fire and Ice\":

1989 LTC

My worst enemies are those who presume me to be harmless. They cannot imagine how much I resent and disdain them, or just how great a threat they would face if I could get at them. Everything in their behavior speaks of insult and presumptuousness, and for now it is all I can do to make constructive use of my anger toward them. At this time, I just make a list of them and keep a watch on. Some day, with the help of time, space, and circumstance, I will be able to humiliate them properly - not in a manner they would enjoy, but in a style calculated to make them wish that they had never been born.

Anton Szandor LaVey

Comment

I can't remember the computer's specification, to be honest with you. I'll take a look when I get home. It's from a 1990ish Mark Series.

Oh- and I'll get pictures tonight. Found my camera (long story).
        2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

the explorer cam is pretty small and runs out of power around 4500, the HO is a bit larger and can pull a few more RPM.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Speaking of GMGT, anyone hear from him lately?
            I'd never swapped a cam before- I was surprised by how easy it was, once I sat there and stared at everything to see how it fit together.

Tonight's goals:
            1) Get the heads cleaned up, painted, and prepped for install.
            2) Strip old motor down to heads to retrieve wiring, fuel rails, and head bolts.
            3) Clean the decks in preparation of head install.

Lots to do, but I think I can manage.

Comment

head bolts? you're recycling the used OEM ones from your lopo?

And I was under the impression that the Explorer cam makes good torque, just at a lower RPM than the standard HO cam, and because of this it also runs out of steam sooner.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiledmeat
                Speaking of GMGT, anyone hear from him lately?

1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                  head bolts? you're recycling the used OEM ones from your lopo?
                  Yes- I was told by the guy who runs the Mustang shop (and has been a great person to know for the past eight years) that the lopo head bolts aren't TTY, so I can use them again.

Comment

Okay- got the heads all cleaned and ready for paint... scraped all gasket surfaces with a razor blade three times. Scraped the deck clean for times. Cleaned the piston tops and cylinder walls. Painting the heads tonight and as soon as I can touch them, I'm going to swap the valve stem seals, since the kit came with new ones.

I'll HOPEFULLY get the heads installed tonight, but no promises. My goal is to have everything assembled and mounted in the engine bay by Sunday night, including pressure washing the engine bay. Transmission installation will come after the engine is installed and everything is checked out five times. I was going to take pictures, but I was too tired.

Comment

you can re-use them but I'm not sure that I would. I've seen several cases of them snapping for no reason at all. I re-used mine but at the time I didn't know they might be an issue. xxx's Towncar needs a motor because one of those head bolts had the head just pop right off of it for no reason at all. We found the head laying on the exhaust manifold.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Unless someone wants to buy me a set, I don't have a choice. I'm literally beyond broke.

Comment

92 and earlier bolts are find to reuse. I believe that TTY bolts came into use with the hypereutectic pistons in 93. TTY bolts look different. Standard bolts are of a uniform size from the head to the threads unlike TTY bolts.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for affirming that, Mercracer.

I got the heads painted, but couldn't do much else, yet- my son is definitely a handful when he has a cold!
                            I was about to go back out there and see how much I can strip off the old motor in preparation for assembly tomorrow, but I think I'd be best to have things where I can pull off the old motor and put on the new motor fairly quickly, so I don't lose/mix bolts. It was Hell finding all the bolts for my water pump...
                            Oh- and this time, I taped before painting. Well- I taped the intake gasket mating surface. For the lifters, I put old valve covers in place. I plugged the exhaust ports with paper towels... should I scrape the gasket surfaces before assembly? I don't imagine it'd cause exhaust leaks, but I also haven't done this in two years...

Comment

I was up until after midnight last night because I was doing minor things in preparation for everything I'm doing on it tonight. I might have also sat there staring at the heads and short block for about twenty minutes...
                              I'll post up pictures as soon as possible. Here's a verbal teaser of the paint scheme:

Ford Blue:
                              Block
                              Oil pan
                              Timing cover
                              Heads
                              Thermostat housing
                              Oil dipstick tube

Natural Aluminum (not paint):
                              Valve covers
                              Water pump
                              Upper intake
                              Lower intake

All I have for contrast at the moment is the water pump and it's looking GOOD.
                              :banana:

Comment

Can't wait to see it mang :banana:
                                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X