Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frankenstein T-5 Waggin' Chronicle (vast doesnt do it)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PM replied. I'll get to the store ASAP and situate the shipping.

The valve covers come in Thursday. I'm anxious to have this bad boy running, again. Still need to find a shifter knob...
    It looks like I'll have my old wheels/tires back... my dad's talking about selling his car and if he does, he wants the turbines back on it 'cause they look better. I'm not looking forward to swapping the fender liner, but it'll be so nice once it's done. I'll try to borrow a camera so I can have LOTS of pictures available.
    Last edited by Freshmeat; 08-22-2006, 05:44 PM.
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

The wagon bar is 1/16" larger than the police bar. They are also a fair bit lighter and muchg easier to find.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Custom87
        Thats holds true even if the bars are the same size.I have both the front and rear PI sway bars on my Vic right now.The front PI and the wagon bars are allmost the same outside diameter,but the wagon bar being hollow and having a relativly thick wall thickness,makes it the stronger of the two sway bars.
        No, it does not. If you read the link that YOU posted, it says that if both bars are the same diameter, then the soild bar is stronger. If the hollow bar is bigger, then the hollow bar is stronger. Either way reducing unsprung weight is always good. My Mark VIII has hollow swaybars, one thing that sucks about the hollow bars is they are known to rust out, resulting in a broken bar.
        BTW you might want to beef up that PI noodle in the rear with an HPP 21mm bar....
        My car is a Shelby SVT Cobra GT Boss Grand Marquis Type R

Comment

I don't know to what "noodle" you are referring, but the rear bar I have is THICK. It's probably twice the size of all the '92+ rear bars I was seeing.
          Gonna get a little sleep and then start in on it tonight. Both sway bars and the fender liner (gonna try to score some Mother's or Turtle Wax products to shine it up while I'm in there). I'll most likely strip that whole wiring harness and run new looms while I'm at it.
          2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
            I don't know to what "noodle" you are referring, but the rear bar I have is THICK. It's probably twice the size of all the '92+ rear bars I was seeing.
            Gonna get a little sleep and then start in on it tonight. Both sway bars and the fender liner (gonna try to score some Mother's or Turtle Wax products to shine it up while I'm in there). I'll most likely strip that whole wiring harness and run new looms while I'm at it.
            Freshmeat I wasn't referring to you, but to Custom 87. He said he had PI bars front AND rear. My HPP rear bar is the biggest made for 92+ and is way bigger than the wimpy PI rear bar.
            Would that hollow bar fit my 93?

Comment

The rear bar off of 92+ panthers mounts different than the boxes. I suppose you could make it work but you would have to do some welding. And yes that bar would fit your 93. You have the holes in the control arm already.
              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Fawking rain...

I'm gonna pull the bars out and see if I can scrub 'em back to the shiny black. If not, I'm gonn paint 'em.

Comment

Hey,good luck mang.With the PI rear bar out back,and the poly bushings up front,your gonna notice a big difference with the wagon's handling.

Comment

That's what I'm hoping. I dropped speed a LOT for curves for the past five years, fearing a sideways rollover. Yes- it's that bad. I'll keep you all posted on the progress (obviously).

Comment

I've also been researching a 3550 swap for when this T5 calls it a day. A local transmission builder offered me one on a brand new, hardened-gear rebuild for $1k which isn't a bad deal, but I don't have the money right now.

Comment

Be glad I can't modify posts. Take it to the battlefield.

I misprinted my last post. I'm researching a 3550 swap, but the local transmission builder has a T45 with hardened gears for $1k- not a 3550.

The valve covers came in yesterday; they look way too tall to fit, but I'm gonna hope I'm wrong.

Comment

HEY IF THE VALVE COVERS ARE TOO TALL THEN THAT WOULD JUST GIVE YOU THE EXCUSE TO GET A EDELBROCK VICTOR JR UPPER AND LOWER INTAKE MANIFOLDS ............your car is EFI right? OK I'm a dumm ass why would you have a mass sensor on a carbed car DUH lol i just read back a way's
                          Last edited by interceptor1985; 08-25-2006, 07:43 AM.
                          YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

I'm not wasting my money on aftermarket intakes. The stock Exploder units are great and TMoss can make 'em even better.

Comment

Originally posted by Custom87
                              All i was trying to get across is,the fact that hollow sway bars are better than solid bars of the same size.
                              This is not true. The 1-3/16" hollow anti-sway bars are stronger than the 1-1/8" solid anti-sway bars. Given two bars of the same outside diameter the solid one will be stronger.

Hollow sway bars are stronger per/lb of weight than solids. So in most cases a larger hollow bar will be stronger and lighter than a smaller solid bar.
                              Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 08-25-2006, 08:53 AM.

Comment

First of all-this is a tech forum. The poster in question was posting bad tech IMHO. Thank you Blaze, you understand what I am trying to say.
                                I don't like personal attacks because I am seeing a discrepancy and pointing it out to others in the forum so they don't go around telling their friends that they read on GMN that hollow bars are stronger than solid ones and make the site look like a bunch of rookies.
                                FRESHMEAT- I apologize for this crap. I just wanted to say my piece, and then be done with it. But since you seemed pissed I will take it to the battlefield. This thread rocks and I love what you're doing.
                                Sorry for the BS.

Taken to the B.F.
                                Last edited by mercenvy; 08-25-2006, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X