Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frankenstein T-5 Waggin' Chronicle (vast doesnt do it)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new question: does the stock water temperature sending unit actually do anything as far as engine controls? I've had aftermarket gauges for some time, but I don't want to throw off the computer by putting the aftermarket temp gauge in place of stock.

Any other things I can do? I tried an aftermarket T for a while, but the air from the fan kept the sensor too cool, so I was reading 135* all day long with a 185* thermostat.
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

i had to use the throttle bracket from my 86........real easy, just grind it flush where the shaft is pressed to the lever, install your vic lever, and tach weld it on or drill and tap a hole and use a small screw to keep the lever on the shaft

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
        i had to use the throttle bracket from my 86........real easy, just grind it flush where the shaft is pressed to the lever, install your vic lever, and tach weld it on or drill and tap a hole and use a small screw to keep the lever on the shaft
        Sounds like a job for my fabricator. I don't have my grinding/cutting tools (thanks, Jackass, who decided it would be cool to steal my stuff while I was on a quick run to the parts store...), so I go to Phil (actually a 4x4 connection, but fabbing is fabbing) who lets me use his tools to get everything right where I need them, then he does the quick welding for next to free.

Last time I drilled and tapped something, I became a father.
        2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
          Merc- do you have a part number on that plate or can I just ask for the idle control plate?
          F2PZ-9F939-A It is one of the pics I posted....

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer
            Thanks for the PN... but I didn't see a picture of an idle control plate- just a phenolic spacer (are those nitrous ports?!) and other stuff.

Comment

Thanks for the PN... but I didn't see a picture of an idle control plate- just a phenolic spacer (are those nitrous ports?!) and other stuff.
              There is one pic of the package and another of the installation diagram.

Comment

I must not be looking at the right pictures. The site I saw only had maybe five pictures and two were of the spacer, one of an axle kit of some sort, VV brackets, and pressure plate bolts.

Comment

A new question: does the stock water temperature sending unit actually do anything as far as engine controls? I've had aftermarket gauges for some time, but I don't want to throw off the computer by putting the aftermarket temp gauge in place of stock.

Any other things I can do? I tried an aftermarket T for a while, but the air from the fan kept the sensor too cool, so I was reading 135* all day long with a 185* thermostat.
                  There are two sensors, one for the idiot light/guage, one for the computer. The single pole one in the intake manifold up near the thermostat housing is for the idiot light/guage. You can do whatever you like with it, since its not connected to the ECM at all. The engine coolant temp sensor (ECT) is a 2 wire thing that lives (at least on my car, if memory serves) in the steel line that runs along the intake manifold for the heater core.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Cool- thanks for that, Gadget. I'll take a better look later.

Comment

I must not be looking at the right pictures. The site I saw only had maybe five pictures and two were of the spacer, one of an axle kit of some sort, VV brackets, and pressure plate bolts.

Look again and look closer......... just press the little arrows on each side of the thumbnails for looking at more pictures.

Explorer & Ford Pics

Comment

Look again and look closer......... just press the little arrows on each side of the thumbnails for looking at more pictures.
                        Explorer & Ford Pics
                        I saw the arrows yesterday, but clicking on them didn't provide any results. This work computer sucks (probably has something to do with its Windows origin...). I checked it on my eMac and saw what you're talking about.

Thanks!

Come on, guys... still lots of questions unanswered.

Comment

Come on, guys... still lots of questions unanswered.
                          Do you want us to change the motor for you too?

Seriously, what questions do you still need answers to?
                          Gear oil is personal preference. You can modify your factory EGR spacer and use factory brackets or modify a Mustang spacer to work with your brackets. Lightning spacer is the ideal solution but they are like hen's teeth.
                          Part of the fun in these projects is getting a little creative.

Comment

Okay. I have a list of the part numbers and I'm going to run to the dealership on my lunch break. Gonna price an EGR spacer there, since FRPP makes a 65mm. If it's too high, I'm going to just order it on eBay for $45 shipped. Opinions on that?

The local machine shop wants $30 to bore my stock EGR to 63mm, so I'd rather go ahead and pay the $15 for one that's made to the right size. According to the pictures, it looks like all I'd need to do is hook up one of the water lines on the opposite side of the spacer as opposed to both being on the back side like the stock piece. Does anyone know anything more about it?

Oh- and if you want to come install the motor for me, feel free! I'll PM you my home address.

Main thing is, most of my power tools were stolen a few months ago while I was on a quick trip to the parts store, so it's hard to be able to get the parts and just start grinding away.

Comment

Gonna price an EGR spacer there, since FRPP makes a 65mm. If it's too high, I'm going to just order it on eBay for $45 shipped. Opinions on that?
                              The local machine shop wants $30 to bore my stock EGR to 63mm, so I'd rather go ahead and pay the $15 for one that's made to the right size. According to the pictures, it looks like all I'd need to do is hook up one of the water lines on the opposite side of the spacer as opposed to both being on the back side like the stock piece. Does anyone know anything more about it?
                              Have your stock one bored for $30 that is a bargain. It is a significant pain to modify a Mustang spacer for your factory throttle linkage bracket. If you don't have EGR gasses going through your spacer, you do not need water going through it. The key is to keep your build simple. A factory Explorer throttle body is 65mm.

Comment

dont hook up the water lines period. have heard of bored egr spacers leaking

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                                X