Trans Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht
    so, what would I need put in my AOD from the 4R70W trans?
    I don't know a whole lot about transmissions.
    How much would something like this cost ot have done?
    my entire trans rebuild cost me about $1100..I wouldn't want to spend that much again unless the trans gives out.

one more thing:
    if you put in the 4R70W gears, what sort of ratio would you have for first gear?
    meaning: I have a 3.55 rear end, if I put in the 4R70W stuff what would the ratio change to for 1st and 2nd gear?
    Justin got his built for $800 on top of the $500 kit from FRPP, I got my C4 for $1250
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I cannot say what i paid for my WR-AOD because of how cheap it was.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Here's the ratio chart

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5
          Here's the pics I took of the pages from my FRPP kit manual when it arrived from Summit:

Roughly an 18% increase in gearing in 1st, and 5% increase in 2nd and 4th (OD). 3rd is the same direct drive 1:1 ratio.

Nick
          88 Colony Park LS
          G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
          Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

The FRPP kist came as an assembled unit that you pretty much just drop into the trans. You can save quite a bit by nabbing a junkyard 4r70w and swapping parts over, but its alot more to mess with that just dropping in the assembled FRPP unit right out of the box if you can find/afford one

Originally posted by Mr. Land Yacht
            one more thing:
            if you put in the 4R70W gears, what sort of ratio would you have for first gear?
            meaning: I have a 3.55 rear end, if I put in the 4R70W stuff what would the ratio change to for 1st and 2nd gear?
            If you have a 3.55 rear end and change your AOD to a wide-ratio AOD, your first gear acceleration will feel like you have a 4.19 rear end gear, 2nd and OD will feel like you have 3.73's

Originally posted by 88MercWagon
            someone at my hosting company decided that I didnt pay the bill, so they suspended it. The glitch will be fixed and the site/pics back up in the next day or 2

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
            '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
            '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

do you guys really think it's worth the money to have it done?
              I paid $1100 to go from 2.73's to 3.55's and I don't regret it for a second!
              do you guys think doing the Wide Ratio AOD would be nearly the same difference?
              I can't imagine what it would feel like to essentially have 4.19's for 1st gear and 3.73's for second.

for those of you who did it...was it really worth the money you paid?
              sigpic
              1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Definitely worth the money. It really helps to get our big cars moving.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Yes, for sure.

Comment

Definately worth the money... It does have it's issues though. Late 1-2 shift, and gear spacing is kinda wierd. It does work well for getting the car moving and I love it.

DAMN! 1100 for gears? You are friggin Mr. Moneybags.... I paid 450 for a completely assmebled 3.73 trac loc rear with everything new in it. I paid 1100 for my car, and thought it was too much.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

damm 1100 for a stock aod..........all said and done mikes wide ratio was'nt much more than that.......helped that i got a 4r70w core for cheap
                      the kit is discontinued from ford, team ford may have one left, or harvest a used 4r70w out of a 95 or newer vic, gm, mustang, or thunderbird/cougar.......mikes core came from a 97 cougar......the kit is nice cause it's got all new clutches and steels and all new parts, saves the tranny shop tons on labor........with the wide ratio you should also think about a torque convertor...what stall you want......you prob want at least 2400 with the mods your planning, for a daily driver, i like the thunderbird supercoupe convertor......it's about 2000 rpm stall, superlinc, toms vic, gadgets towny, running that convertor so far.......i know others love their 2400's
                      should also get a transgo aod hp kit........about 100 bucks
                      a overdrive servo.....they make a super a servo for 125, if u wanna go all out, but a oem a servo is fine
                      a deeper pan is a plus......more fluid so it stays cooler
                      and a must an external transmission cooler.........the higher the convertor stall, the bigger the cooler needs to be

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                        damm 1100 for a stock aod..........all said and done mikes wide ratio was'nt much more than that.......helped that i got a 4r70w core for cheap
                        the kit is discontinued from ford, team ford may have one left, or harvest a used 4r70w out of a 95 or newer vic, gm, mustang, or thunderbird/cougar.......mikes core came from a 97 cougar......the kit is nice cause it's got all new clutches and steels and all new parts, saves the tranny shop tons on labor........with the wide ratio you should also think about a torque convertor...what stall you want......you prob want at least 2400 with the mods your planning, for a daily driver, i like the thunderbird supercoupe convertor......it's about 2000 rpm stall, superlinc, toms vic, gadgets towny, running that convertor so far.......i know others love their 2400's
                        should also get a transgo aod hp kit........about 100 bucks
                        a overdrive servo.....they make a super a servo for 125, if u wanna go all out, but a oem a servo is fine
                        a deeper pan is a plus......more fluid so it stays cooler
                        and a must an external transmission cooler.........the higher the convertor stall, the bigger the cooler needs to be
                        Definatly a bigger cooler, my 3000 converter will make the fluid hit 210 degrees really fast.
                        http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Is a wide ratio AOD something that a mere mortal can install himself, or does it require advanced knowledge of auto trannies and the AOD in particular?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                          1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                          But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                            Definately worth the money... It does have it's issues though. Late 1-2 shift, and gear spacing is kinda wierd. It does work well for getting the car moving and I love it.
                            you can use different govenors to adjust the WOT shift points. using the low speed shift govenor, with the wide ratio gears, yields approximately a 5000 rpm 1-2 WOT shift and a 4800 RPM 2-3 WOT shift point, which works perfectly if you using a stock HO or mild cam. using a high speed govenor yields a 5600-5700 RPM WOT 1-2 shift point, which may be more suitable for for higher reving cams.

I also highly recommend a lentech valve body for the wide ratio trans. they do some sort of modification to the 2-3 shift that makes it longer to take full advantage of the increased gear ratio. I noticed a huge difference in my car after installing a street cruiser valve body from Lentech.
                            2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                            89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                            88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

hmm...I'm seriously considering this, but it wont be done for a LONG time.
                              since I just had my AOD rebuilt when I bought it(Nov.'04), it would be foolish to rebuild it again so soon.
                              I already plan to get the B&M 2000 stall converter. I thought about getting the 2400 stall, but it's double the price!
                              I also plan to get the Baumann shift kit.
                              sigpic
                              1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

I found a 4R70W trans for sale in MI for only 300 bucks and it only has 23k miles on it!
                                I might just buy it for now and do the work later...
                                sound like a reasonable price? sounds good to me.
                                sigpic
                                1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                                X