No announcement yet.

91 LTC AOD "Slipping Issue"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one Frankie posted ended up not being the one in the pic? That stinks.

This one:
    Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
    This is just one example of the part and location. The part can be found at Mustang parts sites, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32447185383...iABEgK5yvD_BwE
    The one in that auction looks like the brass one I have on my car and fits the hole pretty well. It doesn't click in tight like the plastic one did. It just sort of sits in there and the clip holds it in place. There isn't really any slack though. Also, I didn't realize prices of those bushings went up so much. I think I got a three or five pack of them for $15 like 10 years ago.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Well at least, this one won't fall off and then my transmission blows. Just the way the world works. Monopoly makes portions of the world fat and rich.

Comment

That's not good! The one posted from the Mustang site should work. I may have gotten some from them as well and never had an issue but that was some time ago so who knows? Never heard of a brass grommet not fitting properly so this is a new event!
        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I am sorry but you misread. A few posts back I informed everyone that the descriptions states that you will receive either a steel grommet or brass grommet. I ended up with a steel grommet! So I asked if anyone knew where I could buy a brass one...... If it is customary for the new part to be looser than the old part. My old one was snug fit. To summarize what was discussed. I do not know much about posting to forums. So I do my best not to put to much of my project up at once. Just going to at this point, save pictures and do step by steps at the end if I have time.

Comment

Not sure what the issue is with the steel ones but I have the brass ones and they are a perfect fit.
            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I think a whole number of people in varying professions wonder what is going on with the steel... But yeah, this part even if I used a wider clip would not secure it as tight as it was before I removed the OEM Plastic Grommet.

Comment

The only slop that matters is what will affect cable tension. It can move in/out in line with the peg on the cable and that doesn't bother anything. The most critical thing though, the cable cannot fall out of the throttle body and drop the transmission to zero pressure. If the bushing allows the cable to be slightly looser, just add a bit more to make up for it. The cable is always going to pull in the same direction so the slop doesn't really matter in the long run.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

LMR is a great place. Very good people there. They are also pretty much the only source for those damn metal bushings that I know of.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thank you, the cable and everything operates as needed. She drives like a dream. I will check out the late model restoration site.

Comment

Working...
                    X