OD gone on my AOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by import convert View Post
    i know a 3spd is a down grade. the tranny shop here siad a C4 would be a pain to fit. trying to get the linkage and stuff set up. i guess ill have to think about it but yea an AOD would be the best idea to go with.

the fluid was a milky color but i had an external cooler
    Is this implying that you have bypassed the stock cooler that's in the radiator? Almost all vehicles that have the external cooler also have the original stock fluid cooler tank that's inside the radiator. The 'external' you speak of is either a manufacturer, dealer, or owner-installed additional cooler, not a stand-alone unit replacing the radiator cooler.
    Usually, the only time you see an 'external cooler' by itself is when someone completely bypasses the radiator, or installs an automatic in a manual-equipped vehicle, and doesn't change the radiator.

That would explain the 'milky white' fluid you're seeing, if the cooling system has been neglected, and erosion allowing water to mix with the ATF....

Comment

i bypassed the radiator cooler for an external cooler. so id have to switch to a rod kickdown though if i went with the C4?

Comment

Originally posted by import convert View Post
        i bypassed the radiator cooler for an external cooler. so id have to switch to a rod kickdown though if i went with the C4?
        Not necessarily.
        A C4 will run okay without one, it just won't downshift all that well while under full acceleration.

My thoughts?

I'd try to find another AOD before I put a C4 in there.

The C4 isn't a bad transmission, it's just that there are several variations of that tranny (it's hard to tell a 6-banger tranny from a V8 C4, there's also case-fill vs. pan-fill C4's), and it's a pain in the ass to locate a proper candidate unless you know what you are looking for.

Comment

Run whatever you can find that you can afford. Like I stated before with only 3 gears the trans will still last a long time. It will still run like it is. Your mileage may or may not drop. My junk ussually runs better without od. But thats due to big tires and weird engine set ups and shit. BTW aod linkage works on a c6, at least in a truck. Crossmember bolted back up for I just had to make a new driveshaft.
          1989 Grand Marquis LS
          flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

so i have a feeling that ill need to mess with a driveshaft if i run a C4. unless i cna run one from an older panther. this is gay

Comment

I'm pretty sure a c4 takes the same driveshaft.
              1989 Grand Marquis LS
              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

i keep hearing that the C4 is a shorter tranny being its a 3spd so id need a longer driveshaft. if not then sweet cause i dotn want to spend 200-500 for a shaft.

Comment

Discussion of transmissions that will bolt to the Windsor/Cleveland engine blocks

well i dug this thread up. has helped me a lot on what i can do and need to do and what i can use.

anyone have anyhting to add to this at all?

Comment

Working...
                  X