Type F in a AOD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smoke'n'rattle View Post
    Thain, so it's not a real lockup converter, but more of a bypass converter... And actually the way Ford programs the PCM-controlled transmissions is very similar, they apply the lockup solenoid almost immediately after an upshift into 3rd so the "extra shift" is felt only sometimes, and then OD and lockup are simultaneous so no extra shift felt there. Not a bad setup really, not at all.
    Yeah, bypass I suppose is probably more accurate for how it works. It would be nice to have torque multiplication in third though, so the car wouldn't fall on its face when it upshifts out of second gear. Unfortunately its sort of a case of stock config, or no lockup at all in any gear.

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
    Okay, now I have a question ... if the AOD uses its lockup function only by effectively bypassing the torque converter, why do aftermarket AOD converters specify whether or not the lockup function is retained? It would seem on the surface that was complicated to accomplish ...... unless, of course, they are simply constructed so that both input shafts are driven together, all the time, and then there's slippage no matter what .... that actually sort of makes sense, come to think of it ...... :p

That's just it man, there's an aftermarket setup with a single input shaft that does away with the inner shaft and therefore removes the direct-drive feature of the original design - you end up with a stronger setup, but more slippage in 3rd and OD.

Yep, thats how it works. I think there are both converters designed for a single input shaft on transmissions that are modified, and others that basically just drive both shafts off the torque converter's rotor so it can be used on a stock type transmission.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Neato factoids! Thanks!

That kit should work fine for what you want, but just in case call up OPT or even TransGo and ask them if an AOD equipped with this kit will automatically shift gears if the shifter is put in OD, if their answer is yes (and it should be) then you're all good.
      The TransGo AOD-HP kit definitely retains full-automatic shifting. Kicks down to First at comparatively high speeds, too (I want to say at least 35 or 40), and I really, really like the governor. Right now mine's shifting at about 5200, which is pretty decent for my cam. ( http://store.summitracing.com/partde...1&autoview=sku ) AND I'm TOLD it shifts hard into Fourth at around 130mph WOT in this car .... basically it makes the AOD so much more useful and fun to drive than stock it isn't even funny!

(What the heck happened to CraneCams.com??? There've been rumors of Crane folding for some time, but then I thought they were being bought by someone who was going to retain most of their main product lines .....)
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
      X