No announcement yet.

TRANSMISSIONS!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know of two shops in Indiana that are pretty decent ...

How much trouble would it be to go to Scott's transmission guy?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
      Well....Provided you get an 87-up unit, and have it rebuilt by someone who actually knows their 700R4's....it's not a bad transmission. I have one rebuild with a 700R4, and it had to come back out of the vehicle twice due to the previous rebuilder doing his own 'shift kit', and my not finding this out until after I went back through it the second time....it was a goddamned nightmare.

The 200-4R is a better unit, really, but once again, you need to find someone who actually knows what they are doing if you are going to get one rebuilt.
      My nearest experience with 700R4 and 200R4 was completely opposite. My buddy put a 200R4 in his Cutlass with a built Olds 372, and the 200 was a raging piece of shit. Spent $2000 or so getting it built and into the car, and threw it in the trash less than a year later. He replaced it with a 700 that got a plain-jane rebuild and Corvette servos, and it still kicks monkey ass a good 9-10 years later.

You are the first person i've ever heard that would prefer a 200 to a 700. My guess is your bad 700 experience stems from the previous owner not knowing what he was doing with it.

Comment

The secret with any trans is a good rebuilder, but it seems the AOD in particular really has to be done right or its just a big pile of crap. The short lived rebuild story is way too common, and its a big part of why people dislike the AOD.

I don't personally worry about the one in my Towncar because it was done right. The one in my Mark VII? well, it shifts all wonky and I'm just not impressed with it. Its at 80k and just doesn't feel real good. I'm gonna try a few things with it, but basically its on death watch as far as I'm concerned. Once it dies, I'll have it rebuilt properly and then I'll be done worrying about it. It is a Ford reman, and I don't think the issues with it are related to the rebuild. From all data I've gathered, I have either dirt in the valve body, or a stuck or cracked piston. The consensus is that its probably not in need of a rebuild, but it may need a valve body overhaul to quit acting stupid. I'm gonna try cleaning it, but if it won't act right I'll just drive it till it won't go then deal with it.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I bought a C4 from one of the supposed best inthe country and it didn't work at all and leaked EVERYWHERE, took it back and put my 200K mile, been installed in 5 cars C4 back in and that was the end of that story.

It's hit or miss with anyone, it's all about the odds of getting a f'd up one. The better the builder the less the chance.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by 82LTDQS View Post
            Ok, here goes. The AOD I have now was rebuilt about 20k ago and is already slipping, and yes the TV cable is adjusted properly to the stock carb with the correct grommet. The original one died way back when just like most AOD owners. They are expensive to buy new or to get rebuilt. Every time I mention that they suck, someone talks about how they are just fine as long as they are rebuilt by "someone who knows what their doing." Well Chevy guys don’t have to worry about finding some secret genius special AOD transmission rebuilder. It seems as if every forum I go to or every one I have talked to has the same story: They replaced their original AOD sometime ago and their new or rebuilt one is already going to dying. It’s all over this and other forums. Back in my Chevy days I always hung out with Both Chevy and Ford guys. I saw what the Ford guys had to go through with their automatics. I used to drag race allot back then. Just for fun at the track. Nothing fancy at all. Many buddies of mine trashed their AOD's for 5-speed manuals or C4's because of the trouble they had with them. I don’t care for the ratios at all in the AOD. I know this isn’t enough to hate them, but I have personally (not what I have read in a magazine or online) seen stock TH350's, 700r4's, and 200R4's take an unbelievable amount of abuse without fail. No matter how shitty the car is, you can always count on those transmissions. I know, I know, the 700r4 had its issues in the beginning, but I bet the early 700r4’s were better than any AOD. It’s like I never had to even put any thought into the transmission back then. Now I do and it sucks. The only thing I like about it is the overdrive. I’m not saying Chevy is better or Ford is better. Please, let’s not start that. They both have their pros and cons. Such as: The great Ford 302 and the crappy Chevy 305, Ford has the best rear ends and GM’s rear ends suck etc…. Ford transmissions are known to SUCK, so I want to be smart and not waste my money replacing my transmission every 5 years. Based on how people talk, or the comments they post, I get the feeling that everyone that has one feels as if they are on some kind of a timer. When will this transmission die? Check the cable setting, smell the fluid, what color is it etc…. The GM guys don’t have to do that no way near as much. Well, that’s my opinion. I’m in no way saying I’m right, and I am not trying to make a point. This is ONLY my experience and I am very aware that I could be very wrong. I have a 2004 CV company car and it is on its 3rd transmission with 97k miles. The fleet maintenance mechanics tell me that the older caprice vehicles never had this issue. Some guys with new 2009 CV’s are already having transmission issues now. This kills my confidence.
            If you had the 1982 AOD rebuilt....that's probably the source of your current problems.

Comment

true, the early AOD had some issues that were resolved later on in life. I think the 88+ transmission is the desirable one to have from a performance standpoint.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Makes sense. How about ones from TCI or whatever. They are so expensive though.
                Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
                Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
                Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
                Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
                sigpic

Comment

This is all great information. Thanks.
                  sigpic

Comment

i had a few G-bodies with 200r4's in them (the non-OD one right?) anyway, none of mine or none of the ones i ever knew of lasted much longer then 60-80k. my 85 cutty lost reverse at 77k

i dont even use OD myself, maybe if im cruising to the beach at 70 but thats about it.

you ever think of getting a TH350/400 in there? i think the gears are pretty close to the 200 and 700

i put a 350 in my cutlass and never looked back

if i were you id just do the C4. when my trans dies thats where im going. all my mavericks have C4's and theyve been very good to me
                    1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

no complaints here.....

the stock aod in my 86 is unstoppable and i abuse it daily.. I've never once changed the fluid or filter and it has over 200k miles on it.
                      Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by RunUoveR View Post
                        i had a few G-bodies with 200r4's in them (the non-OD one right?)
                        All but positive the 200-R4 (or is it 200-4R?) is the four-speed they used in the Grand Nationals.

Comment

I have owned buicks, pontiacs, and chevys since I was 16. This is the first Ford I have ever owned. Well, the chasis. All those cars were POS. Some had the POS 305 V8 etc.. However, their best features were their transmisions. Most of them were pushing 150-200K miles and being on some kind of transmissions life timer never crossed my mind. Not one of them slipped or anything.
                          sigpic

Comment

What's "POS" mean in that context?

Comment

Piece of shit.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                                All but positive the 200-R4 (or is it 200-4R?) is the four-speed they used in the Grand Nationals.
                                It was used in g bodies in general, not just GNs.

The TH400 in our station wagon has over 400,000 miles on it, without a rebuild. It came out of a '68 Cutlass w/ 100K on it; we put a kit in it, changed the fluid, and it was swapped into the wagon. Its seen 300,000 miles in the wagon. Of course, its lived a relatively low stress life in the wagon, compared to some applications they came in.

It did go from drive into reverse at 55 mph, though.
                                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                                X