TRANSMISSIONS!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
    It was used in g bodies in general, not just GNs.
    Quite; were they really that prone to failing even behind unblown 3.8L engines?
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I think the 200 R4 was generally pretty good. I have the one that came out of the Monte Carlo; it lived 135K miles behind the 3.8. It still drove fine when we removed it.

Anything that gets beat on, or that it is not maintained is more prone to failure.

As far as C4s go; my Dad put 3 of them in his '68 Falcon, in 100,000 miles. It had a 200 straight 6 in it, so it wasn't like the C4 wasn't up to the task. That car used to crap the C4s right out, though. They'd lose a gear or so, and then that was it.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

no i think the 700 R4 was the overdrive 1980's trans. its a popular trans swap for sbc/GM hot rodders and stuff like the AOD is behind ford motors. i think a better-built version was standard issue in the GN's

the 700R4 eventually eveloved into the 4L60E which was basically an electronic, computer controlled version of the same trans for the 90's

the 200 R4 is the shitty one, but if you ask me theyre both shitty in stock form. then again most were built for 120hp 305 v8s at best.
        1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

The 200R4 was the overdrive trans in the Monte SS, the Grand National, and other cars. The non-OD one was the TH200c, thats probably the turd tranny you're thinking of. The 700R4 is bigger, usually used in trucks and it did become the 4L60 and 4L60E later in life. Same sort of evolution with the AOD > AODE > 4R70w.

The nuked C4 story is one I've heard before, similar conditions too. The one person I know who went through several did so in an early 80s LTD with a 200 I6. I know someone else who cooked 2 of them in a dead stock 302 F150 by towing people. He gave up and put a C6 in the truck and had no more problems.

I myself have only had one trans fail, and it was a GM unit. The planetary set in my 4L60E snapped while backing out of my driveway. I drove it until it wouldn't go because I just didn't have money for a trans rebuild. I did burn up an AOD, but that was in a fire. It didn't fail on its own so I can't really count that.
          Last edited by gadget73; 05-31-2009, 11:51 AM.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

A Fox body with a six-banger killed several C4s? I wonder what the circumstances were, and how the transmission were built, with what servos, etc.

Comment

Not enough trans cooler apparently. LAst I talked to him, he had added an external cooler and the problem was resolved. He does live in Arizona, and I guess the constant heat was just baking them to death. These were quite probably used, or the cheapest rebuild he could find since he's broke. Heat really tears up a transmission too.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have decided. Im going to weld a long drive shaft from the engine to teh rear end. I will use the starter to take off.
                Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
                Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
                Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
                Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
                sigpic

Comment

Better change that cam out for some more torque

Comment

Will do.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 82LTDQS View Post
                      I have decided. Im going to weld a long drive shaft from the engine to teh rear end. I will use the starter to take off.
                      your kidding right? if not, you must post a video of this.

Comment

I'm thinking such a machine wouldn't actually drive. :p

Comment

i will use two starters then and a few more batterys. It will be like a hybrid
                          sigpic

Comment

Sprint cars are a direct drive, with just a simple in/out 'transmission'. They get pushed to start.
                            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

fmx

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Marine applications use something like this, but they have a forward/neutral/reverse transmission. No shifting or anything. Some are 1:1 ratio, some have a reduction depending on application. You could use one of those if you really wanted to, but it would suck badly.

Comment

Working...
                                X