AOD 1st to 2nd to 3rd too fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic View Post
    I had an AOD with the 1-2-OD shift pattern, but overall I didn't like it. For a drag car it works great, and is one of the must haves. Being able to choose how long you hold 1st and 2nd is great for light to light acceleration, but I REALLY missed not being able to keep it from going into OD. So on those long drives through the suburbs at 40-45mph, or up the side of a mountain there is no way to keep it from going between 3rd and 4th over and over and over.
    That would be kind of shitty. I love locking out OD

I see cop speedometers with a P R N OD D 2 instead of P R N OD D 1 - Did the cop transmissions have the ability to hold it in 2nd?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
      I see cop speedometers with a P R N OD D 2 instead of P R N OD D 1 - Did the cop transmissions have the ability to hold it in 2nd?
      Yes, but only a very few did. I'm not sure what was the determining factor, but not all Police models have the OD D 2 shift pattern.

BTW, doing the epoxy mod to the OD D 2 valve body is even more fail, as it does turn it into OD 2 2.....when I bought the built trans oh so many ages ago, the first one was in fact a PI valve body, and it was extra gay not being able to lock out OD or get to 1st.

Comment

Holding 2nd gear would be awesome for winter. No way I can short of swapping it for a cop trans that can?
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Sort of. The 1 position on the shifter sort of maxes out the TV pressure, and disables up-shifting.

With a properly setup transmission this is how it works.

Find the max speed your car can go and still downshift to 1st gear when you floor it. Been so long I kind of forgot what mine was, I think it was like 25mph or close to that. Above that speed if you floor it, then it will only downshift to 2nd gear.

As long as the you are traveling faster than the critical 1st gear downshift speed, and are already in 3rd or 2nd gear when you move the shifter to 1, it will just go into 2nd gear. It will hold 2nd gear as long as you are traveling above that critical downshift speed and the shifter is in 1. So you can hold it in 2nd till it blows up if you really want. Once you drop a little below that critical speed it will very harshly downshift to 1st gear, and from then out will hold 1st gear indefinitely until you move the shifter out of the 1 position.

However, if you are going say 35mph and are in first gear already because you have the pedal to the floor, and THEN you move the shifter to 1, it will hold 1st gear indefinitely.

Comment

Im 90% sure you can buy a 1-2-3/4 valve body with od lockout on a switch

Comment

Originally posted by jayh View Post
              Im 90% sure you can buy a 1-2-3/4 valve body with od lockout on a switch
              I do remember something like that being offered, but at that point you might as well go to an AODE out of an early 94-95 Mustang 5.0L or 91-93 Cougar 5.0L and have full control that way.

Comment

silverfoxtrans has an overdrive lockout valve body for not a whole bunch. I've been considering buying one for my Towncar, though to be honest I can't really think of many times I have truly wished I had a manual second gear. I regularly drop it out of overdrive though. Having that ability on a button would be cool.

The fully controllable trans is a cool thought too, but controllers aren't cheap. I've been told you can wire in the ECM out of an electronic trans car and let it run the shifts, but to be able to fully control that you're into a tweecer or something along those lines. There is also the option of completely re-wiring the ECM connector and using an SN95 brain to run the engine and trans, but repinning the connector to that extent is a bit involved as well, and theres still the need for a tuner if you want full control. Either way, you're still spending a not insignificant amount of money. It definitely gives a lot more flexibility, but if you just want an overdrive lockout button, there are cheaper ways to do it.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X