• Show
Clear All

Is that the best to use?
    2002 Nissan Maxima 6spd 14.2@98mph "it may or may not be street legal"
    2009 Chevy HHR Panel - My office
    1988 Lincoln Town Car - The new love of my life

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
      What fluid are you putting in it? Mercon V I hope.

That stuff's expensive, IIRC. Is there any known issue with using DexMerc like I did on my wife's Cavalier?
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Good choice on the new converter, Andy.

I bought a brand name Mercon V for $48/ case (12 qts).

I serviced the AOD in my red car for years with Dex/ Merc, draining the whole thing, and converter. That was before I knew about Mercon V. I never had any issues, though, so I'd suspect it was fine.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

The V is the updated reccomendation from Ford. It supposedly has better lubrication properties. it does seem to shift a little smoother in my Towncar vs the Dex/Merc that it previously ran. Running Dexron III / Mercon won't kill it. Its what the transmission left the factory with. For a used tranny with unknown history, I really wouldn't have a problem throwing 3 gallons of cheap Dex/Merc fluid in there but if its a fresh trans, or one you know works properly and you wish to keep it as long as practical, the better fluid probably isn't a bad idea.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Andypot1985 View Post
            Is that the best to use?
            That's what Ford recommends you use. Though, since you're swapping in a trans filled with what ifs, you can use the Dex/Merc stuff. And then the next time you service the trans (if all is well) fill it with Mercon V.

Comment

Yeah, Mercon V is a LOT more expensive than DexMerc. I found Coastal DexMerc at AutoZone.com for more like $50 for a 5-gallon pail.

Though, Nate's $4/quart isn't as awful as might be. Was that from a nationwide distributor?
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Yea the best i can find the V is $60 a case
                2002 Nissan Maxima 6spd 14.2@98mph "it may or may not be street legal"
                2009 Chevy HHR Panel - My office
                1988 Lincoln Town Car - The new love of my life

Comment

I get a little discount from a local auto parts store, because I am friends with the owner.
                  **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                  **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                  X