No announcement yet.

clunking/grinding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the shop flush the tranny fluid, all of it throughout the tranny, not just what was in the pan so the pan didn't come off. It shifts a lot smoother but still grinds when going into OD, but like LTDMan83 said it doesn't do it when i'm harder on the gas, i'm hoping the OD band is worn out and that's it. I'm gonna just drive it in 3rd from now on unless i'm driving on the highway for a while.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

you wont know what sort of internal damage may be done to a trans unless the pan comes off. This is specifically why I think flushing transmissions is a really bad idea.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'm not gonna worry about it, only does it going into OD and i've figured out if I get it past 50mph or so in 3rd then manually shift into OD it doesn't clunk. I figure when i'm ready to shell out money for the repairs, that's when i'll have the pan taken off. For now it shifts fine in the city and if I manually shift it into OD for highway use.

Comment

ah... then it's the soft shift crap... just manual shift it and drive it till it dies

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            grinding may well be U joints. It should definitely not do that.
            Not being anywhere near a mechanic, which U joints are you referring to? You mean the joints that connect the transmission to the driveshaft and the driveshaft to the differential?

Comment

yup... that's the ones. those + looking things. They should NOT have any play in them... and they should move freely when the shaft is turning.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

sometimes they even look fine but the needle bearings are toast.
                Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

you can usually tell by pulling the driveshaft and rotating the joint through it's axis. If the needles are dead, you'll feel the joint move roughly. It should be nice and smooth.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

And what would cause them to go bad, just age?

Comment

wear and tear. if the grease gets out... they'll burn up pretty quick.

Comment

I'm gonna leave it for now, it shifts a little rough but nothing too bad, it's only overdrive that makes the grinding so I think it'll be fine for a while as long as I keep up with the fluid changes. When I get the money and put another 100k miles on it or so, i'll have it rebuilt and a tranny cooler put on, and maybe a slightly higher stall converter.

Comment

Just wondering, is this a common issue with AOD transmissions? I had the same problem in my old 88 CV, except that one wouldn't shift into overdrive at all. I'm hoping it's the overdrive band or something, I mean it shifts a little rough in all gears but I really don't want to have to get it rebuilt, I can't afford that right now.

If it is a common problem, might there be a fix for it? I plan on upgrading in the future to a stock Explorer engine so if need be i'll buy a stronger transmission in case a stock AOD won't hold up to even an Explorer engine.

Comment

What do you mean it shifts rough? You mean it jerks a little bit? It's better than not feeling the shift. My AOD holds up to an explorer engine. Scott's TownCar's original AOD holds up to his power house.

Comment

I mean it shift rough going into 2nd and 3rd, a little rougher than the 4L60E in my Suburban anyways. It's very rough and still makes the grinding going into overdrive, so I just keep it in 3rd and drive 55 on the highway and i'll do that until I get it fixed.

Comment

Did they find anything wrong when they pulled the pan?

Comment

Working...
                                X