No announcement yet.

clunking/grinding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never had the pan pulled, just had the fluid flushed out and new stuff put in. Looking back I should have taken it to a local tranny shop and had them check it out, I just had a regualr service station do it. Next time I need the fluid changed the pan is coming off.

Do AOD's have lockup converters, and if so is it possible that's bad?
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

No, there's a separate input shaft that goes directly to the converter housing.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        No, there's a separate input shaft that goes directly to the converter housing.
        Technically that would be considered torque converter lockup, wouldn't it? I know it's not what it is now with a clutch pack inside the torque converter. But the crank and input shaft are spinning at the same speed (in 3rd).

Dan, there are 2 input shafts. 1 for 1st and 2nd gear, and one inside it for 3rd and 4th. The one for 3rd and 4th is the 'lockup' because as 1987cp said it's splined to the converter case. if there was an issue with that or the torque converter, you would also notice it in 3rd gear. You had the transmission flushed, and didn't change the filter? :nonono:

Comment

its not a lockup converter in the sense that there is no clutch pack with a controlling solenoid. Basically theres nothing to break there. If the "locked up" part of the converter broke, you'd absolutely know it. Most likely the whole converter would have blown to bits and it wouldn't simply be shifting a little bit funny.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Most likely the whole converter would have blown to bits and it wouldn't simply be shifting a little bit funny.

Comment

It does shift rougher into 3rd than 1st and 2nd but not the grinding like it does into 4th. After I save up a few paychecks i'm having a shop pull the pan and check it out. One of my friend's stepdad is a tranny mechanic so i'll have him tell me what's wrong with it.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                One of my friend's stepdad is a tranny mechanic
                so he wears a dress while working on cars ?
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  so he wears a dress while working on cars ?
                  :lol:

Comment

I could see Dan putting more stock in a mechanic that's also a transvestite .....

Comment

"I'm just a sweet transvestite, from transssssssexual, TRANSYLVANIA>>AHAHA!"

Comment

Comment

You're welcome! Ever feel insecure, we're here to help!!!

Comment

I'm plenty secure, have you seen my baby thread?

Comment

Funny, I felt all kinds of insecure for at least a year after my son was born. Developed temporary narcolepsy, too. Ho, hum.

Comment

Update

Kinda figured out how to drive it in OD a couple weeks ago: I drive it in 3rd up to 55-60 and then shift into 4th and let off the gas, it'll go into 4th with no issue and then just ease on the gas. At that point it's in 4th but I have to be easy on the throttle, if I hit the gas too hard it'll rev up just like a slipping clutch and I have to let off to slip back into gear or wait until it slips and kinda grinds back in on it's own. Now i'm getting used to driving it this way, so the transmission isn't so critical to be fixed but it will be addressed as soon as I can afford. The way it's acting makes me think it's the OD band, since going into OD is the only gear that has a problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X