No announcement yet.

Changing fluid: is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fluid should be red/dark red. If it is already black, then your transmission is pretty much toast and I wouldn't change the fluid at all. Just leave it the way it is and in the meantime save up for a new trans.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Ideally it shouldn't change color a huge amount from new to old. If it does, the fluid has been overheated or contaminated, and thats not good. I've changed pitch black fluid before and not had the trans barf but others have not been as lucky. Roll the dice with that one, you may or may not get lucky. I have heard of people installing external trans filters and slowly cleaning foul fluid over time and not killing things.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

YEAH, im saving up for a new transmission in the mean time, but i was curious. It does look like a dark//smoke red. I will take (a)picture(s) of the oil on the dipstick and post it to show

I realize it's a gamble, unfortunately
        "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
        -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Depending on how many miles are on the transmission, that's probably not a bad call. Mine has 137k on the rebuild, and is now beginning to slip a little in first gear when it's still cold. I already have the money saved up for whenever it finally gives out on me.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
          2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
          2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

first three are ok, it is when it goes into OD, that it does this weird half shift. shifts the first part than after a second shifts the other half into OD, happens when you really accelerate hard or when motor is warm/hot

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

212,000 on my towny aod

yes change the fluid and filter every 25,000 mi

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

25k, lol who knows when the last time my fluid was changed

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Working...
                X