• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	aodblock1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1273570

So, if I'm understanding everything right, I want to put a ziptie where the red circle/arrow is? On my car, the cable is exposed (green circle) from where it mounts on the throttle cable bracket to the beginning of the plastic rail. Is this normal? The black plastic rail and block slide up and down along the cable a little bit.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

yes, zip tie goes where the red circle is.

can't remember if there is supposed to be a gap where you indicate or not. Most of my time futzing with TV cables is on an 86, which uses something different. The only thing I ever touched on the Mark VII was to stick a zip tie in there and confirm it already had the brass bushing.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I did some adjusting to the cable today. When I got to the step where you're supposed to pull hard on the rail and lock the block in place, I was able to pull the cable & rail really far out. This is what I saw on the back:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140101_120628_155[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1273575

To me it looks like something might have broken. I put the block back where it was originally. I tried driving it with a ziptie and within 1/4 of a mile the transmission slipped while I was coming to a stop and the transmission started making a sound. Needless to say I didn't drive it any further. I'm at my whits end with this car and I need it tomorrow to drive back to school.

If the sounds and funny behavior were indicators of low pressure, in which direction should I move the block to increase pressure? Is it towards the end of the cable or away from it?

Comment

away from the end of the cable. there should be more stem sticking out past the block for more pressure. The zip tie will add more pressure though, so you can experiment with different widths of tie to futz with it. Check your fluid level too. Low pressure tends to cause slippage under load, not coasting to a stop. The whine may also just be one of the various AOD noises. In first and second they're well known to howl a bit.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I tried two different junkyards and a transmission shop. I got lucky at the second junkyard and found a cable off of a 1990 Town Car. It set me back eleven dollars but it's intact! I'll probably be installing it next weekend when I'm back home.

Comment

Working...
            X