Other transmissions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
    What gears do you have in the rear end? 3500rpm@55mph is a really, really low gear if you're in OD with an AOD.

And without a rear gear swap, no transmission that'll bolt up will lower that RPM. The AOD already has a seriously overdriven 4th gear.
    its turning that fast in 2nd gear. thats why im going to swap out. ive got a stock rear under the car with 14 in tires.

Comment

Just get your AOD fixed, or get a new one. It's a good transmission, yours is just broken.

Ford used the thing for 30 years, you can fix or buy one easily. That's the best thing about Ford 5.0s, the parts for them are absolutely everywhere.

If you wanna go with something else later, that's fine, but getting the thing fixed first should be your priority.
      Last edited by ootdega; 01-19-2015, 04:45 AM.
      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by ootdega View Post
        Just get your AOD fixed, or get a new one. It's a good transmission, yours is just broken.

Ford used the thing for 30 years, you can fix or buy one easily. That's the best thing about Ford 5.0s, the parts for them are absolutely everywhere.

If you wanna go with something else later, that's fine, but getting the thing fixed first should be your priority.
        I cant afford the 700 to rebuild the trans, and i have an fmx ready to go. that is why im asking. ive asked around on other sites and everyone says it works, so its more of a use what i have situation.

Comment

I hear FMX's are expensive to work on if something breaks.

But, if you have one laying around... I say try bolting it up and see what happens. Worst thing you lose an afternoon popping the broken AOD back in.

Edit:

Found a post on another forum about swapping the other way (From FMX to AOD) that might help:
          So i pulled the Torino out of storage today and I knew the transmission slipped a little but now she's...

Looks like it will bolt up and the transmission length is "negligible" from what one poster says.
          Last edited by slack; 01-19-2015, 12:29 PM.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
            I hear FMX's are expensive to work on if something breaks.

But, if you have one laying around... I say try bolting it up and see what happens. Worst thing you lose an afternoon popping the broken AOD back in.

Edit:

Found a post on another forum about swapping the other way (From FMX to AOD) that might help:
            So i pulled the Torino out of storage today and I knew the transmission slipped a little but now she's...

Looks like it will bolt up and the transmission length is "negligible" from what one poster says.
            THANK YOU SIR! this article was very helpful, and i have a FMX out of an 68 mustang im putting in till the fords done. or at least thats the plan

Comment

You're welcome. Hopefully it works out for you.. I've never done that swap before so I can't speak from experience. From searching on the web it looks like the Mustang guys swap FMX's for AODs so it's possible to do.

Your post got me curious so I did a little bit of digging and some things I noted some people saying was:
              • Flex plate may or may not need to be change.
              • Crossmember might need to be moved so mount will line up.
              • Might have to modify mount.
              • Yoke may be different.

Again, I don't know if there's truth to the above but it might be things to consider when fabbing it up.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

The flexplate off the '68 will NOT work if the AOD one does not match up. Wrong imbalance for an 82+ engine.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  The flexplate off the '68 will NOT work if the AOD one does not match up. Wrong imbalance for an 82+ engine.
                  i read that all non High Output 302s had a 28.2 flexplate, and i think thats what my mustang has i might be wrong though, so if anyone has any info on that itd be great

Comment

82+ engines have a 50 ounce imbalance. Early were 28. Doesn't matter HO or non-HO. Put the wrong flexplate on there and it'll shake like a bitch and will pound the bearings to death in the process.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well I guess that explains people talking about swapping flex plates in my search. lol

Would 87merc just be able to bolt on his current AOD flex plate on the FMX?

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        82+ engines have a 50 ounce imbalance. Early were 28. Doesn't matter HO or non-HO. Put the wrong flexplate on there and it'll shake like a bitch and will pound the bearings to death in the process.
                        so what do the different teeth mean? like the 150-something and 164 tooth?

Comment

If you use the wrong one, the starter won't engage...

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

so it really wouldnt keep the trans from going in?

Comment

It would keep you from starting the car, because the starter wouldn't engage with the flexplate.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

if its too big to fit in the bellhousing, it might keep the trans from going in. Also that whole no start thing, and the fact that you have to remove the transmission to change it.

I have no clue if the AOD flexplate is the same one the FMX uses. If it is, then you're good. If it is not the right tooth count, then you need one of the proper count AND the proper imbalance or it will not work. Taking a guess at it, you probably need a smaller flexplate though. Most of the older transmissions seemed to run a 157, and the AOD uses a 164 I think. If you can find something that is post-82 and had a C4, thats probably the part you need. Confirm first, I'm just guessing at this.

Comment

Working...
                                X