No announcement yet.

Thermactor and EGR Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to test the voltage output of the wires that come from the PCM to the Coolant Temperature Sensor. And I am going to replace that damn EGR hose!!!!!!!!! That won't be until Monday.

Comment

Do auto part stores have those little plastic hoses?

Comment

Yes but they're like 4x the cost of standard vacuum hose. I used regular hose and several green zip ties to color code it.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh alright, that's fine. I'll do that. Those things break way too easy.

Comment

I tested for voltage from the PCM wires. They are in specs. I got a new coolant temperature sensor, since the other one is still new(ish), I just got to bring the old one back. Anyway, I hope that this is the last time. No codes but the ECTS out of range. I'm crossing my fingers.

Comment

Code still there. I give up, I think it just needs to be driven.

Comment

You have to reset the ECM after each change. I've also seen a case where a known good temperature sensor kept setting a code. Replacing the ECM fixed it. You could check the wiring in an easy way, unplug it and see if you get a code for open circuit. Jumper it and see if you get a code for a closed circuit. If it does that, the wiring is likely fine. Could also be poor connections at the white and black connectors on the firewall. Thats the interface between the ECM harness and the engine harness with all the sensors.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                  You have to reset the ECM after each change. I've also seen a case where a known good temperature sensor kept setting a code. Replacing the ECM fixed it. You could check the wiring in an easy way, unplug it and see if you get a code for open circuit. Jumper it and see if you get a code for a closed circuit. If it does that, the wiring is likely fine. Could also be poor connections at the white and black connectors on the firewall. Thats the interface between the ECM harness and the engine harness with all the sensors.
                  I did, accidentally leave the connection off and it gave the open circut code. I tested the voltage, and it read 4.66 volts. So that's okay. So even if I got voltage, the ECM harness might not be connected well?
                  Last edited by 86VickyLX; 03-14-2007, 05:49 PM.

Comment

It could be a poor connection on the return wire. The 5v volt line is a common feed wire for several other sensors. I don't have my evtm handy but the other wire is the actual signal return. If that isn't making proper connection somewhere along the line, it might throw codes for the sensor being out of range.

Comment

Really? So even if I have voltage, I can have codes. If I fix it, will I have an old code regarding the sensor that needs to be cleared?

Comment

The voltage is just voltage. The other wire is what the ECM actually reads to get data. If you fix it, it may keep a stored code for the sensor unless you clear it.

To test the coolant temp sensor, you can use a volt meter or an ohm meter. Chart is here with the values compared to temperature.

This is the ECM pinout just in case you really feel brave and want to chase wires

How to clean/fix the connectors.

Comment

Alright thanks. I'll let you guys know

Comment

I didn't clear it yet, but I am wondering if the coolant isn't hitting the temperature sensor, will it read as out of range since there is no temperature from the coolant?

Comment

Yes, but the temperature sender is in the pipe to the heater core, so unless your coolant level is very low, that shouldn't be a concern. If you have heat, its getting coolant flow.

Comment

Okay I see. But the pipe is deep, and I don't think it is hitting the sensor. I get heat but does that necesarily mean that it hits the sensor. My Radiator isn't full.

Comment

Working...
                                X