Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiper Misbehavior

Me again
    slowly fixing up my 87 townie and messing with the wipers.

Wipers work in intermittent, low, and high. Switch to off, the wipers don't park and the governor buzzes. I've bought the cheapest Box Panther governor on eBay which I'm hoping will yield a better result.

Washer activates wipe but doesn't run the pump, because the pump wires were cut. I fixed the wires but now plugging in the pump causes the wipers to constantly wipe, but still no washing.

Next up I will try putting my own switch / bypassing the governor to at least test the pump.

do the wipers just stop wherever they are when you turn it off, or do they keep running?

not honestly sure how the pump and governor interact. I don't have the EVTM in here to check. Its one of the rare areas I've never had to learn about on my car.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If switched off mid sweep the wipers descend to the resting position, at that position if switched off the governor buzzes and they fail to park/hide. I keep the stalk set to interval so it doesn't buzz.

There's a possibility when I repaired the wiper level and pump wires (all were cut) that I connected the wrong wires altho I don't fully understand what would occur in the permutations of this. The governor buzzed before I repaired any wires. I at least am supposed to have a working washer to pass safety inspection, I may try bypassing the governor or putting in my own momentary switch.

Comment

Good news I figured it out.
        Governor was fine.
        The ground wire at the wiper motor switch, that is on the wiper motor, was not grounded. The washer pump also grounds through this wire. I added a new ground strap from this wire to the fender, now everything is working fine.
        This is very similar to the problem and solution 87gtVIC experienced. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/forum/te...position/page3

I'm kicking myself for not simply checking the ground to begin with, I would have saved myself a lot of trouble and headache.

Comment

Originally posted by aharonLTC View Post
          Good news I figured it out.
          Governor was fine.
          The ground wire at the wiper motor switch, that is on the wiper motor, was not grounded. The washer pump also grounds through this wire. I added a new ground strap from this wire to the fender, now everything is working fine.
          This is very similar to the problem and solution 87gtVIC experienced. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/forum/te...position/page3

I'm kicking myself for not simply checking the ground to begin with, I would have saved myself a lot of trouble and headache.
          That is funny. As soon as you said the ground wire I had an ah-hah moment....as I have had this happen to me. Then you proceed to mention that I did in fact have this happen to me many years ago. Nice work.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
          X