No announcement yet.

Where is it fused??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless the battery is super imperative, I'd find the draw first and then install the new battery. Hopefully, you also have a proper battery hold down as well!
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
      Unless the battery is super imperative, I'd find the draw first and then install the new battery. Hopefully, you also have a proper battery hold down as well!
      LOL.............there is no battery hold down, the tray was gone before I purchased the vehicle, and I could never get an after-market one to fit properly:-(. I utilize one of those thick industrial rubber straps with two hooks) As for the battery, for some reason my bud wants me to start with a new battery, the one in there now has what has to be a dead cell due to the test numbers I obtained when I tested it awhile ago. Additionally, the battery now goes stone dead in a matter of two-three days, which is why my NOCO booster is a life saver (not waiting for AAA to give me a boost.)

Comment

As long as the battery won't move even a "redneck" method will work. Depending upon when you are going to see him, I'd put a new battery in when he tests it and not before unless you REALLY have to. That is a major draw if it goes dead that quickly unless you are (as you say) starting off with a defective battery to begin with.

Comment

I used a plastic battery tray and a 24R battery in the 88 when the stock tray position rotted out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I hope to get a battery this week, the f-er is going stone cold dead within 24 hours;-(

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
              I hope to get a battery this week, the f-er is going stone cold dead within 24 hours;-(
              THAT is a huge draw! You may want to get a "cheapie" until you rectify the issue. I'd question the alternator especially if it is old and or a bad "rebuild". The diodes go bad and create all kinds of bad events like yours!

Comment

THAT is a huge draw! You may want to get a "cheapie" until you rectify the issue. I'd question the alternator especially if it is old and or a bad "rebuild". The diodes go bad and create all kinds of bad events like yours!
                Frank, The alternator is a FoMoCo rebuilt that has to be twenty-twenty five years old? I was supposed to get out to Long Island to get new battery and undertake the drain test but family sheet came up, so have to put off for a week or so. My bud does have an AMPRO clamp meter (among other stuff) so finding the drain will be no problem I hope. If I do need a new alt. I just hate to get anything that has been rebuilt by that company in Philadelphia:-( Cardone:-(

Comment

Ok boys an update as of today. My ride now has a new Interstate 36-R battery. Then off to find the parasitic drain. Happy and sad to report there is no drain!.........so now the waiting commences, I just hope its not an intermittent situation, those are a true PITA.

Comment

Battery (which you've just replaced), alternator, cables, grounds. All things to look at first before going crazy. With an alternator, that old, I'd look at that first. I've seen them "tested" as good but replacing them fixes the problem!

Comment

The parasitic drain may have all been inside the battery unless it's the disconnected defrost switch. You did disconnect that again right?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                        The parasitic drain may have all been inside the battery unless it's the disconnected defrost switch. You did disconnect that again right?
                        Could always be. Bad batteries in addition to bad alternators make cars do "hinky" stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                          Sly I had a drain even with the rear defog switch disconnected. Until I see if the battery was in fact the culprit I will leave that switch disconnected.

Comment

Could always be. Bad batteries in addition to bad alternators make cars do "hinky" stuff!
                            Not unlike the old girlfriend;-)

Comment

New battery dead this morning:-(. Pulled out the two plugs from the alternator, will be back in a week to see if this was in fact the drain culprit.

Comment

Working...
                              X