Check engine light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check engine light

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1259.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.44 MB ID:	1389749
    Does anybody know what this relay under the glovebox on my 85 GM does and why it made the check engine light come on when I replaced the old busted one?

The engine light on an '85 comes on from low oil pressure and/or high coolant temperature. It has nothing to do with the engine computer or other "smarter" electronics.
    So either you have a wiring gremlin or your engine light didn't get signal properly before.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
      The engine light on an '85 comes on from low oil pressure and/or high coolant temperature. It has nothing to do with the engine computer or other "smarter" electronics.
      So either you have a wiring gremlin or your engine light didn't get signal properly before.

I forgot to mention that I have an 88 cluster that has the yellow “check engine” light in place of the original cluster’s “check oil level” light but my oil level is good so hopefully it’s just the sensor or something
      Last edited by 91merc; 06-29-2023, 07:51 AM.

Comment

'85 engine light doesn't blink on test, but a test light should (if done correctly).
        I have no idea how an '88 cluster differs from '85.

Comment

Unless you took the time to wire the diagnostic light to the correct wire on the diagnostic port, you are still working with a low oil level light that is just labeled wrong. The sensor for that is on the oil pan and I think is normally open (when oil is low, it's open). So if the wire harness to it is damaged or came loose, that would be why the light is now on.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1263.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	1389758This is the original cluster compared to the one that’s in the car

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1264.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	3.23 MB
ID:	1389757
            Attached Files

Comment

W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶e̶c̶k̶,̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶'̶v̶e̶ ̶g̶o̶t̶ ̶2̶ ̶e̶n̶g̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶s̶?̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶w̶e̶r̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶i̶l̶ ̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶c̶l̶u̶s̶t̶e̶r̶s̶.̶
              A̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶o̶i̶n̶t̶ ̶I̶'̶d̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶c̶h̶e̶c̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶i̶l̶ ̶l̶e̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶s̶e̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶r̶i̶n̶g̶.̶​

EDIT: That's an '89 cluster by the looks of it.
              Probably still check the oil level sender and wiring.
              Last edited by Arquemann; 06-29-2023, 08:54 AM.

Comment

So is your car an 85 or is the cluster an 85? If the car is an 85, then check the oil level sensor. If the car is 88-91, that light shouldn't be on constant except when the car is on but not running.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  So is your car an 85 or is the cluster an 85? If the car is an 85, then check the oil level sensor. If the car is 88-91, that light shouldn't be on constant except when the car is on but not running.
                  The car is an 85 with a newer cluster

Comment

I'd trace the circuit board on the back of the 88 cluster from the check engine light bulb to the connector then do the same on the 85 cluster from the oil light bulb. If they go to the same pin, the check engine light is on because your low oil light is on. Or you could plug the 85 cluster back in and see if the check oil light stays on solid as well.

Like the others said, the oil sensor is on the oil pan. If the sensor seems fine, then some wiring got weird from there to the light.

Just a thought if it's not anything with the oil level sensor...

On my 89 Crown Vic, I went the opposite way as you. I put in an early 80s police speedo in place of my original one. For mine, I used my original backing flex circuit board/plastic housing with the older speedometer's face and guts. Never tried on a grand marquis one before, but maybe you could do the same if the newer cluster's bulb traces don't line up correctly on the connector? (Use the 85 flex circuit/back plastic with the 88's guts and top plastic) Here's a link to the post from back then: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/forum/te...60#post1065060
                    Last edited by slack; 06-29-2023, 11:31 PM.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Does anybody know what that relay I showed is supposed to be for? Lol

Comment

If you have the wiring diagrams, you can tell what it is for by wire colors and location of the relay.
                        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

+1 I have no clue. I had an 88, but it didn't have a relay there.

Comment

If thats wired to the check oil light circuit, its the relay for that circuit. I don't have the EVTM handy but there is a relay involved in that system, and I guess you found it. I've never had to look into how all that works beyond the sensor in the pan or damaged wiring to it.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by slack View Post
                              I'd trace the circuit board on the back of the 88 cluster from the check engine light bulb to the connector then do the same on the 85 cluster from the oil light bulb. If they go to the same pin, the check engine light is on because your low oil light is on. Or you could plug the 85 cluster back in and see if the check oil light stays on solid as well.

Like the others said, the oil sensor is on the oil pan. If the sensor seems fine, then some wiring got weird from there to the light.

Just a thought if it's not anything with the oil level sensor...

On my 89 Crown Vic, I went the opposite way as you. I put in an early 80s police speedo in place of my original one. For mine, I used my original backing flex circuit board/plastic housing with the older speedometer's face and guts. Never tried on a grand marquis one before, but maybe you could do the same if the newer cluster's bulb traces don't line up correctly on the connector? (Use the 85 flex circuit/back plastic with the 88's guts and top plastic) Here's a link to the post from back then: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/forum/te...60#post1065060

well you see, the reason I got the new cluster is because the copper started lifting off the membrane in a lot of places on my 85 cluster and melted in a couple spots too and that’s why I changed it

Comment

Working...
                              X