Ac Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ac Issues

I noticed that the ac has not been great during the day on my 90 mgm. Yes it is hot and it’s Florida but my 87 works great even in the heat. So I got a new set of manifold gauges and got to work. The ambient temps yesterday late in the day were about 85* with close to 100% humidity. The pressures I got were strange. After about 5 minutes or so when everything was stabilized I got 53 psi low side and 350 psi high side with a discharge temp around 65*. I revved it to probably around 2k rpm’s and kept it there. The low side got down to about 30 psi and the high side climbed to almost 400 psi. Discharge temps lowered maybe 5* or so temporarily, then it went back to where it was before. Now after about 10 minutes, out of the blue the low side started dropping and got down to about 30 psi and stayed there and the high side lowered to about 225 psi and stayed there. The discharge temps got to around 50* or so. When the sun went down it had no problem getting into the 40s even though it was probably still about 80* and muggy. I also noticed that the blend door doesn’t open up. When I open it manually it stays there and the temperature drops 5*-10*. I’m pretty sure that’s just low vacuum so I’m not worried about that but I thought I’d add it.

As I write this post I’m sitting in my 90 with the ac at full blast in 91* heat with high humidity and it’s steady at about 63* at the vents after 20 minutes or so. It was at 75* for a while but dropped.

I’d be inclined to think it’s a heat soak problem since there is only a mechanical fan to draw air at idle but the fact that the discharge temps don’t keep climbing at idle would contradict that right? Thoughts?

Elevated low and high side pressure are usually condenser airflow related. How's your fan clutch? If old/high mileage replacement would be warranted. If you can get a heavy duty one that's even better as you'll get higher fan speeds.

How does the condenser look? Is it dirty? Lots of bent fins from impact damage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That is an odd problem. At first I was thinking maybe the system had too much gas in the system, but then it went to normal pressures. Either the compressor is doing some really freaky things with the piston seals or the orifice tube had some weird clog that cleared. I'm leaning towards the compressor doing weird stuff since the orifice tube being clogged would make high pressures on the high side but would short cycle the low side as it would draw it down below 15psi.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It never cycles it’s always on, I don’t know if I added that. But I’d tend to agree there’s something up. As far as the mileage goes I don’t know. The carfax said there was a discrepancy so I don’t really know. Could be high 100’s or low 200’s. Either way it runs well and doesn’t smoke, burn oil or make any noise so I’m thinking it’s on the lower end. And the condenser looks good. No bent fins and I cleaned it out with a garden hose last night. Someone converted it to r134a before I bought it. Who knows how good of a job they did.

Comment

oof, 400 psi! Thats way too high. Shouldn't see over about 300

sounds like not enough airflow across the condenser to me, usually bad clutch fan is to blame, but missing shroud or the condenser just being packed full of dirt and dead bugs will do it too. If cleaning is no help, I'd really be looking at that fan clutch
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I’ll start it up and check the clutch just to make sure. It could be slipping, I haven’t checked it.

Comment

Gadget I think you’re right about the clutch. After turning the key off the fan will keep spinning for another four or so seconds. I’ve never noticed this before and pushing it by hand it stops pretty quickly. Not very scientific though.

Comment

I once had a Ranger which cooled about effectively as warm piss tossed on your forehead. Turned out there was indeed a bunch of garbage jammed between the condenser and radiator, once fixed, it worked great. The engine never overheated, though. Although I was only 19 or so when I had that thing, I don't think I was paying a whole lot of attention to that.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I can take a hose to it again just for fun I guess. I mostly got water in the condensor. Anyone have a part number for a heavy duty fan clutch? I bought one for my 87 on eBay and it works well but it’s a no name brand. All I can find are standard duty. Also are they thermal or non thermal from the factory?

Comment

3 or 4 seconds means it is shot. 100%
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Thermal. YB-327 is the Motorcraft heavy duty. There is one on eBay currently but it's kind of high IMO. YB-328 is the standard. I put the 327 on my wagon and you can hear it in action at the appropriate times.
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Appears that "YB-327" is coming from Israel (from the price conversion info).
                        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I sent an offer, we’ll see. If that doesn’t work out is there an alternative? The one on my 87 is great but I don’t know the brand and doubt it’s motorcraft.

Comment

Peraps try your flaps and see if they have any heavy duty that could be ordered.
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I have a Hayden 2710 on my other wagon. It does fine with keeping the car from getting hot. It probably does all it needs to, but that car does not have functional A/C. The 90 wagon with the YB-327 does have air and that clutch really kicks on and sounds like a tornado under the hood. But I wouldn't pay silly money for it; the Hayden gets the job done.
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                              X