Use of a toggle switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use of a toggle switch

Before I start cutting wires.....................upon hooking up my rear defog sw on the '86 MGM, the battery this morning was stone dead after about one week.
    I want to just forget about this factory defog switch, and in its place utilize a generic toggle switch. Can you offer suggestions as to wire the toggle switch after I have cut off the defog wires from the connector?
    Many thanks in advance.

First, the switch should be rated the same or higher than the fuse (I think that should be 40A - that's the rating of the one on the 93). Also, that circuit has power at all times but uses the RUN circuit to latch the built in relay that switches the power and turns on the LED indicator. So yes, you can replace with a hard switch, but you will have to remember to turn it off as the main power is from the battery directly. If you can find a 12V timer switch, that would be better.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If the Rear Window Defroster is on Fuse 6, there are many other things that fuse controls as well so perhaps one of those is the issue as opposed to the rear window defroster? I think it is a 20 amp fuse but working from memory so it needs to be verified.
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
        If the Rear Window Defroster is on Fuse 6, there are many other things that fuse controls as well so perhaps one of those is the issue as opposed to the rear window defroster? I think it is a 20 amp fuse but working from memory so it needs to be verified.
        Frank that makes sense, but I have already replaced two of the defog switches, and in time same thing happens, parasitic drain until the battery goes dead. And, by virtue of dis-connecting the connector from the switch................BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!! No more dead battery. Btw, it has to be a 20 amp because the wire is a number 12 AWG, and if it were 40 amps the wire would have to be like a number 10 AWG

Comment

Oh btw, I intend to wire a relay before the switch to take the load off it.

Comment

Likely you plan to use the run circuit, that sly mentioned, to feed the switch so it depowers the circuit when either the key is turned off or you flip the toggle off. It is going to be a pilot light switch?
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

there should be a key-on circuit and a constant hot circuit in there. Wire it correctly with a relay and it will shut itself off with the key. The other thing that stock switch does is provide a timer so it won't just run the defrost constantly. Not sure if there is risk of cooking the traces on the glass or not.

anyway, from the 1986 Lincoln EVTM

white/pink - key on hot
              black - ground
              yellow - constant hot from fuse link J
              brown / light blue - output to defroster

If you want to do this right, using a toggle and a relay

white/pink - to toggle
              other side of toggle to pin 85 on the relay
              black - to pin 86 of the relay
              yellow - 30 on the relay
              brown - light blue - 87 on the relay

defrost will shut off with the key and the switch is only carrying however much current the relay needs.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah... the 20A is on the toggle side and the 40A is on the switched (constant/load) side. The grid is on the 40A side. The 20A side is just the coil power for the switch/relay.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  there should be a key-on circuit and a constant hot circuit in there. Wire it correctly with a relay and it will shut itself off with the key. The other thing that stock switch does is provide a timer so it won't just run the defrost constantly. Not sure if there is risk of cooking the traces on the glass or not.

anyway, from the 1986 Lincoln EVTM

white/pink - key on hot
                  black - ground
                  yellow - constant hot from fuse link J
                  brown / light blue - output to defroster

If you want to do this right, using a toggle and a relay

white/pink - to toggle
                  other side of toggle to pin 85 on the relay
                  black - to pin 86 of the relay
                  yellow - 30 on the relay
                  brown - light blue - 87 on the relay

defrost will shut off with the key and the switch is only carrying however much current the relay needs.
                  Thain I have to sit down and figure out how I will go about effectuating this, one thing is for sure, I would never put another factory switch back in, no matter that it be NOS. Two times putting up with this shit is two times too much:-( And yes, a relay will be part of this exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                    Likely you plan to use the run circuit, that sly mentioned, to feed the switch so it depowers the circuit when either the key is turned off or you flip the toggle off. It is going to be a pilot light switch?
                    Yes pilot light switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post

Thain I have to sit down and figure out how I will go about effectuating this, one thing is for sure, I would never put another factory switch back in, no matter that it be NOS. Two times putting up with this shit is two times too much:-( And yes, a relay will be part of this exercise.
                      "Effectuating"? Please refrain from using these "nine dollar college words". While you may be able to converse on these topics with complete erudition, do show some constraint! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post

"Effectuating"? Please refrain from using these "nine dollar college words". While you may be able to converse on these topics with complete erudition, do show some constraint! LOL
                        Yo Duddddddddddddddddddddeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, my porr parentssssssssss spent a fortune on my edukation

Comment

Isn't that "EDGEAMACATION"?

Comment

Yea Frankie, get off his back. I am pretty sure "Effectuating" is only a $7.50 word.
                            (Insert the just joshing emoticon of your choice here)
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I think I may have made a circuit once that allowed me to use a momentary contact switch to lock a relay on (using switched power) and another momentary contact to unlock it. That way you could have it turn off permanently when the ignition is switched off and or when you hit the second button to turn it off. Cant remember the logic. Kind of remember using 2 relays.

Is that of interest to you? Control and switching would be low amp side.
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
                              X