Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticking Speedometer

Hey y'all,

I've encountered a bit of an odd issue on my '87 that started a little while after changing my speedometer cable. First the issue was a clicking/whirring noise from the speedometer head. Now I've encountered my speedometer either reporting speed slowly, or the needle sticking at the last reported highest speed, then erratically dropping down to 15-25 MPH when stopped.

This started really occurring on my trip to NC, and I chalked up the slowness to the low temperatures in the morning, however I've noted the speedometer tends to hang up even when warm for 5-15 miles. Eventually it'll stop hanging up and report speeds normally throughout the entire speed range at the time. The odometer appears to be reporting normally the entire time.

I feel the speedometer cable replacement might be a red herring in this instance and perhaps the speedometer head itself is sticking a bit, especially considering the needle will hang up at an incorrect speed for a while.

Is there an appropriate lubricant I should apply to the speedometer head to see if that rectifies the issue? I just want to take care with this particular unit since it's such an oddball and I certainly do not want to damage it.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

I'd want to take good care of that speedometer as well. I'd try a lightweight oil like 3n1 on the speedometer. Be sure the cable isn't a hair long and/or putting pressure on the speedometer.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I have always used Dexron tranny fluid to lubricate my cables. WagonMan
      89 Colony Park
      90 Colony Park
      70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

I used red and tacky on the cable in the 88. The speedo head I also used red and tacky but that doesn't like the cold but after a shot of PB blaster, it worked great. YMMV.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I've used ATP AT-204 Speedometer Lubricant. It's like $4-$5 a local store or can always be ordered online. Any kind of graphite usually works but as always is really messy!

What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Not the red 3 in 1, that stuff is glue disguised as oil. The blue electric motor oil is fine, or any light, high grade oil. If you know someone who repairs clocks, that would be ideal.

on the cable, ATF is just fine. Probably OK in the speedo itself, the key is you want something that won't get gummy and you want an extremely small amount of it on the pivots only.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
              I'd want to take good care of that speedometer as well. I'd try a lightweight oil like 3n1 on the speedometer. Be sure the cable isn't a hair long and/or putting pressure on the speedometer.
              Wanted to follow this up since I used the wagon over Thanksgiving and got the issue resolved before I left. The issue was actually the speedometer cable. I had replaced it maybe about a month ago with a Pioneer unit since the original had a chafe and occasional scratchiness sound to it. I had found at the time it would not properly insert into the VSS and I had to lightly file the end so it would slide up into the VSS.

Apparently it was too long and at some point during my trip to NC prior, it shifted and jammed the cable up into the speedometer head which caused it to stick. I checked this symptom by spinning the cable by hand while forcing the cable forward slightly and could reproduce the sticking needle. Pulling the cable out released the head and the needle returned back to 0. I had to file the end down a fair bit before I could get a clean insertion into the VSS without being able to reproduce a binding condition. I had no issue over the course of my Thanksgiving trip, so I think it's resolved for now.

I'll likely see to looking around for a NOS unit, simply because so far I'm 0 for 2 on Pioneer's fit and finish of their products. Their accelerator cable lacked the correct mounting tabs at the intake and now the issue with their cable lengths and ends. Shame really, because the rest of the cable and connections worked as intended.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Thanks for the follow up.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Maybe you can find one or two original cables in good shape at a wrecking yard ? Aftermarket ones that I have used are flawed.

Comment

Working...
                  X