Battery out-gassing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery out-gassing

Can an alternator that is overcharging cause battery out-gassing?

Yes. probably easy enough to check voltage when running or just get a midtronics check at autozone or the like.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Get yourself a Topdon ArtiBattery 101 tester. It will tell you ALL Kinds of good stuff. Battery strength, alternator charging, cranking info and SO much more!!
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

How about determining the ability of the voltage regulator??

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
          How about determining the ability of the voltage regulator??
          If it is part of the alternator, it probably gives that info. As a separate part, not sure if the data is that specific but the overall charging will be included. Let's say the car is over or under charging, you would need to determine if the regulator is the culprit or the alternator. Chances are pretty good in one of those scenarios, if they were separate parts, the regulator would be the problem.

Comment

hook up a voltmeter and start it. If it goes over 15 volts with some throttle, its not working properly.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              hook up a voltmeter and start it. If it goes over 15 volts with some throttle, its not working properly.
              Then there's that. Cheap but effective!

Comment

Well the voltage regulator limits the output of the alternator so checking that the running voltage, without loads, is not too high in most cases would tell you the regulator is regulating the high end output correctly.
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Gents I did two things today, I replaced the battery, and spent the afternoon washing down the "A" frame and steel under battery Fiberglas re-enforcement. I used up almost a full box of baking powder with water getting rid of all that white powder dried battery acid. I did not hook up my 1.25 amp trickle charger. In the spring when I return to the storage garage, I will see if she crank and starts, if not that's why I have a NOCO GB-70 Then I will bring the car over to my bud that does nothing but automotive electric, to check alt output, and the condition of the vol regulator. Prestolite alts are notorious for being finicky........especially after 60 years;-)
                  If rebuilding is indicated, I may just swap in a Nippondenso alt from a 1988 Toyota Tercel. Many Studebaker owners have done this due to the constant problems with the original units. This also has the regulator as part of the unit. (REMY # 14341)
                  Last edited by Toploader; 11-20-2023, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X