dash light flicker at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dash light flicker at idle

I have an 89 Grand Marquis. Swapped to 3G alternator, maybe 2-3 years ago. It's been problem-free.

Lately I have noticed my instrument lights flicker at idle. The idle hasn't noticeably changed. Battery is about a year old. I have had headlight relays for many years.

At any RPM above idle the flicker goes away. Any ideas on what to look for? Get the voltage regulator checked maybe?

Yes get the battery and charging system checked. That would be the easiest way to start. Maybe check the idle rpm if you can. Of course ground and positive connection points are always worthy of attention.

They still do the bat and charging tests free at the big box auto parts stores?
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Check for loose bits. Battery terminals, chassis ground, etc.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have several ground wires stacked up at the small factory headlight grounding bolt on the fender near the battery. I sanded them and firmly reattached, then sprayed with a shot of battery terminal protector. So far that seems to have corrected the flicker.
        Thanks!

Comment

Victory!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
          X