Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay another heatercore job!

Comment

This reminds me, I should really put a manual shut off under the hood.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

My moms 95 v6 explorer has a neat thing on the heater hoses. It has some sort of vacuum regulated valve bypass the heater core from coolant with no vacuum. So i guess under high rpm...no vacuum...no coolant is passing through it.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          My moms 95 v6 explorer has a neat thing on the heater hoses. It has some sort of vacuum regulated valve bypass the heater core from coolant with no vacuum. So i guess under high rpm...no vacuum...no coolant is passing through it.

That actually seems kind of useful if it's not plastic. Can you get to the heater core in those from the engine bay or is it dash surgery?
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            That sounds tempting... I sorta need something in place of the broken sensor there anyway..

Does that look like it? That could be really cheap (20 dollars) and simple insurance if all it needs is manifold vacuum.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Yea it does look like that now that I see a picture...so I guess I should have stated it just stops flow to the heater core....not redirects it. But yeah thats it.

I think dash surgery on those as well. I think my father did one or two while working at Ford

...and it looks plastic.
              ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I really like the idea of that thing. My motor doesn't see anything above 3k - After the build it'll probably like to rev a good bit higher, and one of these looks like cheap insurance like john said.
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I think I'll get a bypass pipe (short section of pipe the size of the heater core in/outlet) just in case. Since I carry a small toolbox with me all the time anyhow, that would be an easy riggin.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That's a heater control valve. It works with the climate controls. If it has no vacuum applied it will actually allow coolant to flow. Not the other way around...
                    To make it work the way you want it, you'd have to have constant vacuum to it. And the only time an engine makes vacuum is when it's crusing/not accelerating...

The default for loss of vacuum is open for those things.

Though it would be a nice addition to the A/C system since it would keep coolant from heating the core, making the air coming through the vents cooler.

Comment

oopsie daisy.
                      ~David~

Comment

yeah, crappy explorers got real heater control valves. We got stupid 'won't let you get floor position until the coolant warms up...'

It doesn't look to hard to install one of those into a car. If I feel inclined, I may do this in the future...

Comment

If its got a heater control valve, I'd wager it doesn't use a blend door to control temperature. Most older cars without AC had the HCV to control temperature. No blend doors or any of that stuff. Of course those were the cars that had access panels to get the core out, and it took longer to get the hoses off the core than anything else.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                          X