3g alternator not charging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3g alternator not charging?

I bought a rebuilt, upgraded 3g alternator off of Ebay a while ago. I finally got the rest of my new battery cables so tonight I went to install the alternator. I did alternator -> 200A fuse -> + solenoid. I also attached the exciter wire (green, correct?) to the battery cable post. I left the idiot light wire (yellow, correct?) dangling.

The way to check if an alternator is charging is by checking the voltage of the battery before starting the car, then after starting. Somewhere between 12-13v when it's off, and somewhere between 13-14v when it's on... right?

I have 12.2v when it's off, 11.7 when it's on. That looks to me like the alternator isn't charging. I get perfect continuity from the alternator battery cable post to the positive terminal on the battery, so it's nothing in the cables. That means it's the alternator, isn't it? Is there any other way I can test the alternator without throwing one of the $$$ testers on it? My job has one but I know they won't let me bring it home, and the car isn't street legal currently.

To me it looks like I have a defective alternator. Does anyone have any ideas? Unless there's any other way to check it at home, I'm going to have to e-mail the seller and see if he'll back his "1 year full replacement warranty".

The green wire goes to the factory green wire in the harness, its the same one from the stock alternator. The yellow wire is battery sense, it needs to go to the battery cable post. White with the black stripe hops from the voltage regulator plug to the stator connection on the side of the alternator. If its not hooked up that way, it doesn't charge. The idiot light wire is required.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

d'oh. That was it. I'm a moron, thanks a lot gadget.

Comment

The idiot light completes a circuit I believe. When I had my instrument panel off, the alt wouldn't charge.

Comment

How do the one-wire alternators charge then? Don't they remove the ability to use the idiot light?
          Last edited by CheeseSteakJim; 11-15-2007, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
            How do the one-wire alternators charge then? Don't they remove the ability to use the idiot light?
            rpm activates the field......some dont charge if the idle is too low

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
            X