90 GM heater core

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90 GM heater core

Heater core sprang a leak a few months back in my mom's '90 GM. I bypassed it under the hood, but she won't let me touch it 'cause of the air bag in the steering wheel. Local shop we use for some things won't do it due to "lack of tools" ... what??? I've done heater cores in my '89 CV, but haven't worked with the newer dash of the '90+.

I need info on how to go about the air bag and lowering the steering column in the '90 GM. What are the precautions and steps to take? Can I yank the core out the top of the dash like on the '89 and older models?

Anyone I have asked about the later boxes doesn't know how to do them. Mine hasn't popped yet, but it is a matter of time. I am interested to know what will be involved, so post up if you find out.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Would have to be similar to the early Aero right? Aren't the dashes similar to the ones on the early aero? You need to disconnect the battery, wait about 10 minutes so the airbag backup battery is depleated, then you can drop the panel under the steering wheel. After that, you should be able to drop down the column in a similar fashion to the earlier boxes. Be sure to disconnect the gear selector able before you let it drop too much. I don't know, however, how the dash comes apart. I've never gotten that far in an early aero ('92-'95 area) or late box ('90-'91).

Comment

not sure what the air bag has to do with any of this. all you have to do is loosen the steering column and lay steering wheel/column in the seat so you can pull the dash assmebly back... no need to disconnect or even touch any of the air bag stuff/connections.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

It's not really any different, except or needing torx to get the dash screws out. Not a damn bit of specialty equipment needed. The shop prolly just doesn't want to do it because its a time consuming pain in the ass
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq View Post
            not sure what the air bag has to do with any of this. all you have to do is loosen the steering column and lay steering wheel/column in the seat so you can pull the dash assmebly back... no need to disconnect or even touch any of the air bag stuff/connections.
            The concern here is air bag detonation by static shock or by some other means. It's an issue of safety.

Comment

they're not that sensitive. If they were, there would be cases of false deployment all the time after electrical storms and such. You'll be fine, just unhook the battery first. None of the rest of the electrical comes apart, so you're not disturbing the system any.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by monterey1962 View Post
                The concern here is air bag detonation by static shock or by some other means. It's an issue of safety.
                Like I said... you are not going to be working on anything related to the air bag. all you have to do is loosen the steering column and lay it in the seat.
                2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

yea no worries......i have never set off the bomb, and i've had alot of dashes apart

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania View Post
                    yea no worries......i have never set off the bomb, and i've had alot of dashes apart
                    ahem....

someone set up us the bomb....

sorry....
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by monterey1962 View Post
                      As soon as you disconnect the battery, the airbags will continue to work until the emergency back up battery is depleted, once that's all used up, you should have no chance for those things to deploy on you at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X