HELP!! strange idlew/vid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!! strange idlew/vid

heres the story after i pulled the thermactor pipes my car started to idle really odd up and down kinda heres a video for you gurus please help asap!!
    need to figure out cuase i start new job at autozone next week.Thanks in advance-zoomie
    http://video.yahoo.com/watch/5058961/13441518
    Last edited by zoomie; 05-12-2009, 10:24 PM.
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
    heres the story after i pulled the thermactor pipes my car started to idle really odd up and down kinda heres a video for you gurus please help asap!!
    need to figure out cuase i start new job at autozone next week.Thanks in advance-zoomie
    http://video.yahoo.com/watch/5058961/13441518
    Did you plug the vacuum lines?

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
      Did you plug the vacuum lines?
      which ones? need to be plugged? i have the one off the airpump plugged

Comment

there are two. On mine it's a black one, and a tan one. they come off the check valves on the plumbing for the smog pump. Make sure you didn't disturb the red or green hoses either, cause they're for the EGR valve, and that red one always has vacuum iirc. Btw what year is your car?

Comment

you got a big vacuum leak

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

it is a 87 TC

Comment

yep, sounds like a vacuum problem or something with the idle solenoid. I'd run codes, see if anything is out of whack, then work from there-after soprting the vacuum issue

Nice knock too!
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                you got a big vacuum leak
                ya i figured ? is where lol how do i fix?

Comment

find the leak, fix it....
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

U can use something that's flameable, like carb cleaner and spray around the engine, liberally, until you notice a change in the idle. Or you could use a cigarette and see where the smoke goes.

Comment

There are 3 vacuum hoses that go to the smog control crap. The large one that went down to the pump, and 2 small ones that went to the control valve things in the smog plumbing. Trace the fat hose back to where it tees into a line near the wiper motor. Use the one-way valve in the hose that went to the pump to replace the tee. Vacuum side of the one-way valve needs to be facing the engine. Take the two small plastic lines and seal them up. I capped mine right at the control solenoids on the passenger fender, and completely eliminated them from the vacuum hose connector thing.

There is also another line that goes under the AC bracket to a solenoid near the battery, then vanishes under the battery. Make sure that line is there and not cut open. I had one get too close to a belt once and it caused some problems.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        There are 3 vacuum hoses that go to the smog control crap. The large one that went down to the pump, and 2 small ones that went to the control valve things in the smog plumbing. Trace the fat hose back to where it tees into a line near the wiper motor. Use the one-way valve in the hose that went to the pump to replace the tee. Vacuum side of the one-way valve needs to be facing the engine. Take the two small plastic lines and seal them up. I capped mine right at the control solenoids on the passenger fender, and completely eliminated them from the vacuum hose connector thing.

There is also another line that goes under the AC bracket to a solenoid near the battery, then vanishes under the battery. Make sure that line is there and not cut open. I had one get too close to a belt once and it caused some problems.
                        I tracked down the issue to the black and tan lines eliminated them and plugged the holes with screws and sealed them with black rtv problem solved,i thought basck to when it started to happen and it was after those lines were cut i used black tape and as scott told me yesterday blacktape dont work lol thanks guys for all the help
                        p.s. also the thermotubes r eliminated as well as the lines going to the air pump and to the heads i cut the head tubes off and used the part that screws into the block to plug the holes now all i need to do is plu gthe thermo holes in the converters ,which by the way cuases the knock sound you hear in the video so no my engine isnt knocking lol gabe will verify tomarrow lol anyway mangs thanks alot maybe one these day i can return the favor
                        Last edited by zoomie; 05-14-2009, 12:17 AM. Reason: adding more to reply

Comment

Linc is fixed now i took the IAC off cleaned it out with brake cleaner now i have no more idling issues car tuns great but i think my fuel pump is on its way out though lol

Comment

Check the fuel pressure. Panther pumps don't go bad that often. I removed a 21 year old 170k mile pump from my car and it was working perfectly. Only reason I replaced it was because the tank rotted out, and I didn't want to put the old pump back in. Its more likely that you have a clogged filter than a dying pump.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What makes you think the pump is dying mang? They either work or they don't. There is no in between unless there's wiring problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X